Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roma0904

what is this?

roma0904
9 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what yhis could be? Since it was born is different from all the others, I bought obesum seeds but this came diferent, grew slower and the Caudex is more fat and rounded

Comments (13)

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Third

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forth

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fifth

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sixth

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last, sorry for that nany follow ups I cant find the way for multiple pics in the same post

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Hi Roberto,
    Most likely an 'obesum', just different genetics. Many of the experienced growers say that there is so much cross pollination happening that it is hard to pin point a definitive parentage.
    I started a batch of 'obesum' seeds of "Double Black Madonna ", two yrs. this spring. I kept 8 of strongest and 3 are short, fat with many terminal branches from base and the others are all different. Kept them, as I want to see the differences in growth and flower color, etc.

Very ice looking plant. You do well with yours.
    I always look and think of Mary's display of plants and blooms, because she has gorgeous plants.
    Rick

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rick,

Thanks, it looks very diferent, has a lot of branches growing from the caudex but if you see on 3/4 up there is a point where a lot of branches are growing too, I had the hope that some arabigum seed went unnoticed with the obesum I bought or maybe a socotranum, LOL I wish I was that lucky

Thanks
    Roberto

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

You now, one never knows. I am not all that familiar with which species are able to be crossed successfully, but many speak of certain ones not crossing well. Also, some do not graft to each other as readily.
    I often wonder when I have had plants at a young age as yours, what the outcome would be later in years, if I where to prune this central leader out so that the pruned branch would not be as noticeable as an older plant.
    Giving a fat base with nice terminal grow coming from base.
    Going to try it on some of my newer seedling as they develop.
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

It looks like a very nice obesum hybrid to me. :-)

Has it been rised ( when repotted ) ?

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rick, thanks, let's wait and see what comes from it

Heart in Bloom, thanks, this past February i took it out of its seedling cup ( 3 ounces plastic cup) stems and leaves have been growing real slow but the Caudex is growing fast, maybe at the middle of the season I will try to rise it and see how much it has grown under the soil level, definitely I can say that by far it won't fit in the cup it was raised as a seedling until last February

Roberto

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi there, it looks like an obesum to me for what that's worth!! Just as with us humans, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and no two are exactly the same.
    I have found that arabicum seeds are much larger, mine were easily a good centimetre in length, so they were at least twice the size of any obesums I've ever planted. Whatever it is, it is very healthy and well grown, so full marks to you! Hope you get some flowers.

Gill UK

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gil, hope this hot weather helps it growing faster

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor