Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cno53

I'm hoping to save this DR

cno53
9 years ago

Found this little guy at Lowe's today with the root system just sitting on top of the soil. So brought him home, ran a little water over the roots and will replant in the morning pending any advice I may receive tonight. Don't know how long the roots have been exposed.

Thank you,

Neal

Comments (10)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Great find! Don't worry - the roots could be exposed for months and months and months - wouldn't hurt a thing. The risk with succulents like adenium is overwatering, not underwatering. Pot it up in a with soil mostly under the roots, not around the caudex. Have fun!

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Neal,

Dont worry it will get fine, I bought a couple from lowes ane the first thing I notice they potted them in the wrong soil,, the pot seems from the same supplie, does the pot say " desert rose, just add sun"? Just repot it in a good draining soil and should be fine, don't get scared if it drops the leaves, they will regrow in a couple of weeks

Roberto

• cno53
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Roberto you are correct it does say "Desert Rose, just add Sun". Thank you both for sharing your knowledge. Just discovered DR a couple week ago. Without the knowledge and advise from this forum I would not have known that it was possible to save this plant and he would still be sitting on the shelf at Lowe's.

Plan on potting up with Al's gritty mix first thing in the morning.

Thanks again to both of you for your quick responses,

Neal

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Neal,

And remember it is not a rose and is not from the desert either, they need water to grow but always with good draining soil, the amount of water depends completely on the weather, here in south Texas in summer I water them up to 4 times a week that's each other day, this year hasn't been as hot so I been watering them between 2 and 3 times per week

Roberto

• cno53
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roberto,

What gritty Mix ratio do you use here in Texas? 1:1:1?
    I'm concerned about the roots getting to hot. Does a larger pot help keep the temperature down?

Thanks,

Neal

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Neal,

I use direct miracle gro cactus soil, not mixed, I found out that if mixed with granite or other stone or rock base soil absorbs heath, and i use big pots, the more soil around the roots the less heat gets into the roots, but this in winter could hold more humidity so have to be careful not over water

Roberto

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Neal, whats the maximum temperature in your area?

• cno53
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The temperature can reach 112 to 114

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Neal,

I dont know other city in tx with that temp than laredo, san Antonio doesnt get as hot, ( that I know )
    Well follow follow instructions above and it should be fine, and I learned that above 108 I have to give them a rest from the sun around from2 pm to 6 pm if not the leaves will start to burn

Roberto

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Great find, glad you came to join us here on the forum, some good folks here...and good info too! Good luck with the plant.

Gill UK