Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens if you don't raise Adenium roots?

Posted by sutremaine UK S.Wales 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 21:18

'Nothing much, but you're going to need a bigger pot' is probably the best answer, but I'm curious about what sort of look you'd get if you sowed some seed and kept the resulting plant at the same level in the pot at each repotting, or if the roots would be significantly different after several years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens if you don't raise Adenium roots?

I guess keeping roots underground will not change them much, just make them "invisible". Some of adenium species in the wild have all or most of the caudex below soil level!

Aggie

o

An adenium nurseryman in India had said that only the portion below the soil is able to grow larger. I like to have a short, fat and complex caudex rather than a long and tall one. I follow his advise and use the pot that has the height proportion to its diameter and keep the caudex below the soil level for a few years. Time will tell if the nurseryman is right.

o

jlgarden I've also heard that the underground portion of the caudex of most caudiciform plants is the only part that will grow. Once it's hardened off by being exposed to air that part will no longer grow. I don't know if this is indeed a fact but it does make sense.

o

OK....here's a question:

If you grow a plant in a tall, but narrow pot, and do not replant it into a larger pots as the plant gets bigger, will the roots grow towards the wall of the pot, and then eventually grow, and take/conform to the shape of the pot?

Here's why I ask...I want to try to grow an Adenium with a relatively thick but columnar shaped trunk,... to "suggest" the African, "Baobab Tree". I have a straight-sided, pot that is twelve inches tall, and 8 inches in diameter. I would like to plant the Adenium in this pot, and let it grow until the roots fill and take on the shape of the pot. Then I will gradually expose the clump of roots, which have now, hopefully, taken on the cylindrical shape of the pot, and grow/train the top end, above this clump of roots, to mimic a Baobab Tree. Of course this is all speculation, but have any growers noticed if roots do, in fact, take on the shape of the pot's interior?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, and help.

Frank

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here