Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Adenium Obesum Quick Question T/F?

Posted by ThatAdeniumGuy none (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 23:23

True/False?
You should always water your Adenium Obesum by soaking the soil in water from the bottom up, never water from the top.

I read this somewhere and wanted to know if this was true.

Also it would be helpful if you could explain your answer *hopeful*

I would really like it if i could just water straight from the top but someone told me this will cause the caudex to rot. I am using my own special mix of soil. Im a noobie with adeniums and this is an experiment so i dont recommend copy catting my formula

Ingrediants in soil:
Sand from Home Depot, its play sand
Perlite Generic
Bark small pieces ONLY
Lava Rock only very small bits, crumb size
Cactus mix store bought
cardboard - just a pinch of shredded cardboard (another experiment)
*bottom is lined with 2 layers of random small pebbles, various sizes, from the side yard to help with drainage and to keep soil from escaping out the bottom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Adenium Obesum Quick Question T/F?

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 5:50

False.

Plants grow up. Water flows down. God intended. No need to change that.

o

I agree with Tolip......who have time to soak......by the time the soil soak up to the top layer.....it is too wet....

When I water I water the leaves too......leaves need to feel fresh too....(only my idea)

Marie

o

Watering from the top soil level and watering until the water comes freely out of the drainage holes at bottom. This would wet the soil and leech out any extra salt build up in the POT.
Rick

o

I've got a couple of watering posts on the blog that might help you.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Adeniums

o

I water all my DR's from the top, never from the bottom.
Regarding the ingredients in the soil...
Personally I would omit the play sand...far too small particle size, sand compacts, forces air out of the mix and stays too wet. In cooler temps if wet, it will also be cold as well.
I would also steer clear of the cardboard component...also will stay wet for too long so no need for that in a mix that you are esentially trying to make very fast draining.
The other ingredients sound OK as long as there is not too much cactus mix, especially if it is peaty.
Hope this helps, just my thoughts.
Gill UK

o

Check out this link about how water travels through soil and why. It answered a lot of question for me about what and why we use different components in soil. This Al guy is one smart cookie!

John

Here is a link that might be useful: This really helped me understand!

o

• Posted by sbrow156 Cairns QLD Australia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:55

I water mine once a week. Because it is so hot here the dirt is usually dry again by the next time i water it. It has started to cool down now though and my adeniums have started to looks alot of leaves. I am thinking maybe i should slow down on the watering for abit? maybe water every one and a half or two weeks?....i usually water so that water runs out the bottom of the pot. When it does that I stop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here