Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedb4

Plants from Kukuan at AdeniumCenter

tedb4
10 years ago

Hi All-

I did some research recently to try to get a full list of vendors who have grafted plants in order to place a couple of orders. Kukuan from Adenium Center (from Thailand) has a somewhat functional website and sells seeds on eBay. When i contacted her, she got a word document with a list of photos, plants and prices to me within a couple of days. Here's a screenshot of the document.

Comments (23)

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Despite the shipping costs being a bit steep, I placed an order for 5 plants because I was entranced by some of the options available (no surprise here :))

The plants arrived 4 days ago, after less than a week in transit, and I was pleasantly surprised by the size and condition of the plants- most are noticeably larger than the ones I have gotten elsewhere, with only one smaller one and even that one has multiple branches

Here are some photos of them coming straight out of the box...

not sure why it doubles all the photos- new with imgur...

Will post photos of the 5 in pots soon...

Here is a link that might be useful: adenium Center Plants

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe this link will work

Here is a link that might be useful: album

• jv44
    10 years ago

Wow! Nice plants there! I see you ordered a couple that I want--the Double Violetta Beauty and Double Dark Chocolate.....I think I'll have to place an order with her---I didn't know Kukuan was female, I had just assumed the opposite since I'm not entirely familiar with Thai names (though I am slowly learning Thai with the help of my fiancee in Sakon Nakhon via computer). Thanks for posting your experience with ordering from Kukuan--I can hardly wait to place my own order!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I understood Kukuan to be male also from the correspondence. Not that it matters.
    Kukuan is very reliable and supplies some of the nicest grafted plants. Good size plants and very healthy.
    Shipping is very prompt and quick.
    Rick

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought Kukuan was male as well, but on one of the shipping slips it said, Ms. , so I figured I must be wrong. I googled the name and came up with a lady, but not the same one, but that's as far as I got.

I can't wait till they sprout some leaves... And then to see the blooms ... The one I really want to see is Double forever sunshine with red and yellow and that was the largest plant!

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Anucha has some great selections, great prices and I hear the shipping was a bit more reasonable than others. Just throwing in another reputable source name into the mix. I was going to try to get some soco or somalense seeds but I went in on a group Anucha order and got a Muang Sak Da. Being on a budget I went with just one plus I wanted to see how good a condition it would arrive. Very healthy and good size. Can't wait for this beauty to bloom!

{{gwi:345136}}

Kirk

This post was edited by kodom087 on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:21

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is a beauty Kirk. Anucha is very highly regarded with all the Adenium growers and as many of the Thai people/growers where devastated by the flooding. They sure haves wonderful outlook of life lessons.
    I was looking at Swazicum's, but he did not have any at the time.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rick. Makes it cheaper when my sister goes in halves with me since she'll be getting grafts off what ever I have. LOL

It is sad about the floods Thailand gets. Growing up my childhood home was flooded several times over the years in South East Texas. Not nearly as devastating as Thailand with monsoons and tsunamis. We've had our share of hurricanes though.

Swazicum's look great. When you get your hands on one you'll have to show a picture. I am rather fond of the what I think they call the barrel form. Looks like a fat vase with a long single stalk before branching. At least in a few pictures I've seen.

Kirk

• jv44
    10 years ago

Quick question: When ordering plants from Thailand, did any of you have any documentation other than the usual phytosanitary certificate? I've found an Ebay seller that has some very nice Thai soco KHZ seedlings for very reasonable prices and shipping (which includes the phyto. cert. free) is actually decent as well. Can you get one or two plants from abroad without any kind of import permit?

Also.....does anybody have an URL or website for Anucha?

Mike

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike -

I live in the UAE and haven't needed anything other than the phyto certificate..

Anucha looks great-beautiful photo Kirk... will check her out - just found her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/anucha.hiransirilak

I'm also placing an order with atgtree - will let you all know how that turns out... http://www.atgtree.com/adenium_obesum.html

It would be great to put together a comprehensive list of reliable growers ...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

tedb4,
    Warunee has a wonderful website and a great selection. I find that the correspondence is slow, but it may just be that I want things right now, not sure.
    The plants are very nice and multiple branched from scion.
    Estaban from Puerto Rico was/is connected with Anucha. Not sure if this is the case now.
    Kirk, since PR is governed under the U.S.. This might be good for you?

I wish we had the resources in Canada that you have in the U.S. for Adeniums. You have many growers in your own country.
    Rick

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 5 plants in pots in a spot with no direct sun....

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Those look great! Very nice multi branches on each.

Rick, I've never heard of Estaban. I have heard shipping can be quite expensive from PR though. But perhaps worth looking into at some point if not to verify. Thanks!

Kirk

• jv44
    10 years ago

Those look really nice potted up--can hardly wait to see them leaf out and bloom, especially the "Double Violetta Beauty"! And speaking of Warunee.....I just spotted new listings on Ebay from him.....so I ordered 1 each of Thai socos PBN and KHZ plus a grafted obesum triple flower called "Classic" for my mom for a late Mother's Day gift.

• jv44
    10 years ago

I just checked on Ebay as to the availability of those Thai socos from Warunee......they're BOTH sold out already! 30 of each were sold--I'm going to have to keep an eye on his Ebay shop for future listings....and I could just kick myself for not having bought a few more of them when I had the chance!

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plants are settling in and leafing out- one bloom on the way - Double Dark Chocolate I think - looks small, but the color is already very dark...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Ted,
    You are going to have a nice area full of Adeniums and amazing color.
    They sure leaf out for you very quickly.
    Keep the photo's coming. Happy growing.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Ted, they are getting fatter which is great....good looking plants.
    Marie

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double Dark Chocolate- not quite as dark as the picture on the initial catalog, but it may darken up...

only seems to be one flower this time around, and no signs of blooms on the others...

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

all 5 plants

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Very nice Ted.
    Some of the Australian growers have commented that they find the purples and dark colors are more intense when it is humid.
    Maybe not as intense yet, as you have just potted up from bare root.
    Beautiful either way.
    I cannot wait to see all of your plants in bloom. Your going to have a garden oasis of Adenium flowers. Can you imagine when they get looking like Marie's!
    This will come. I'm sure.
    Rick

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick -

It gets pretty humid here in the summer as well - so maybe it will darken up.

I may be luckier with my plants from Warunee - looks like 4 or 5 have buds even before leaves...

Today's photo...

Ted

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the inside of the double looks a bit darker...

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz