Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trip_kc

Arabicum or Thai Socotranum

trip_kc
10 years ago

Hi all
I Want to add few Thai soco to my collection but got confused.
Don't understand difference between arabicums and thai socos.
is it flower colour/form or caudex shape?If flower colour is same can not we train arabicums for soco look?
even more confused between different varieties of thai soco.
Do the plant grown of thai soco look alike their mother plant ?
experts plz enlighten

Comments (14)

• teyo
    10 years ago

Thai socotranum is not a separate species, they're just arabicums with some selection on caudex forms. They won't come true from seed and most of the hype is bs. You can buy a plant though that was shaped and grown in a fairly nice way through ebay, just don't fall for scams like numbered edition of golden crown and whatnot.

• Voodoomagic
    10 years ago

I am no expert but have been reading heavily on thai soco and arabicums. Thai soco ( what I was told by a thai seller ) that the thai soco is a hybrid its self. He said that adenium socotranum was brought to thailand and people grew it and crossed it and they call them thai soco for that reason. I read that the species adenium socotranum rarely blooms. ( this is what prompt my question to seller about thai soco) Nurseries show thai soco in bloom and have been collecting seeds/ hybridizing. They are not as abundant like the other species or hybrids hence why the price is high.

Arabicum is a species of adenium which is from Arabia. Arabicum have fat caudex and have different forms base on location. Thai Soco have lots of root and the caudex is not so chunky like arabicum ( again basing my findings on pics I have seen )

As for the seed part ( again I am no expert ) I assume the seeds would have characteristics from mother plant. I have seen pictures at thai nurseries showing rows of same cultivar and they look pretty similar.

I hope the real experts chime in :p

• Voodoomagic
    10 years ago

Thanks Teyo

see I have no idea just going based of pictures LOL

• tedb4
    10 years ago

I bought Golden Crown seeds a bit more than a year ago and the plants are noticeably different from other adeniums - no blooms yet, thicker trunk, leaves only at the top of the trunk and goes into a longer dormant stage and grows very slowly... Not terribly exciting, but still a nice plant...

• Voodoomagic
    10 years ago

Ted thanks for the info.

I also bought seeds and I am going to sow them this season. So hopefully I have something to report back in a year or so.

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for postings
    atleast now I have some insight into this complex topic.Though I stil waiting for inputs from someone having experience from seed to flower.
    Meantime thinking of buying few thai soco sead to give them a try.
    please recommend reliable thai seller selling soco seeds on eBay
    thanks for sparing time

• jv44
    10 years ago

I've got new seedlings of both Thai socos and arabicums...I can see a difference between the two types already even though they're barely a week old now....even the three types of Thai soco look different from each other.....I have to take some new photos to post so you can see.

As for a reliable seed source....I got my Thai socos from adeniumseeds.com I got the 20 seeds for $35 and he actually sent me 8 of each of S1/Golden Bell, Khao Hin Zon, and Petch Ban Na. I sowed them all the evening of May 28 (the day I received them) and so far I have 100% germination of the S1 and KHZ and 6 of 8 of the PBN. Also got 20 seeds of A. arabicum "Black Giant" (he sent 22) and I got 100% germination of them. And....I got 20 seeds (he sent 22 again) of A. arabicum Yemen--21 have germinated now and one turned moldy and I quickly yanked it. Lastly, I ordered 2 packets of 20 seeds (22 in each packet) of mixed Saudi arabicum seeds...difficult to tell how many have come up as I have them in several different containers at the moment--they seem to be the slowest of the whole batch but I count 24 germinated so far with some more poking up today. The "Black Giant" seedlings are the biggest of them all and a couple of them are already showing their second set of leaves.

As for Ebay...I think kingadenium is most likely a good source, probably adeniumcenter as well.....you can find Thai socos usually 10 seeds for $10.99 plus $4 shipping. I haven't ordered from either of these sources yet so I can't vouch for them 100%....but I've had some communications with kingadenium and have some of his Thai soco seeds that i'm watching--gotta wait for payday Friday to pull any triggers though!

• teyo
    10 years ago

You can find an explanation on the yahoo group by dr.Mark Dimmitt, who is a pretty big authority, and even more important- a scientist. Sellers will tell you their plant grew out of a unicorn's butt to sell it so treat their claims accordingly.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

It was either kingadenium or adeniumcenter that Rick got a bunch of his socos and arabicums from, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully he'll chime in soon. Who ever he got his from he had great germination. I'll see if I can't find his post about them and link it.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I did get some from adeniumcenter (Kukuan) and I got excellent germination from them (90%). He is very good to deal with.
    I have not had mine long enough to comment too much as they are not that old.
    The latest Arabicum seeds that I received was through a gentleman on the Adenium site from Australia that did a group buy of seeds and I was able to get in on it.
    The seed came from a hybridizer from Florida, I believe and where from an Arabicum 'Bouquet' which is a stunning specimen.
    It is all a gamble sort to speak. You do your best to find a reputable seller or collector to get seed from, but you are still not guaranteed anything. The seed does not come true to parentage, but will hopefully have some of their characteristics. This is a known factor and all we can hope for is a few specimens to meet our criteria.
    I am still deciding on how many I can actually hold on to.
    Rick

• Voodoomagic
    10 years ago

Rick , and others interested. I bought seeds from mr ko ( because of this forum) and adeniumcenter lastly kingadenium. I bought Thai soco from adeniumcenter. I will sow seeds soon and try to give updates on all the seeds I bought.

• durch
    10 years ago

first, all Thai socos are arabicum but not all arabicum are Thai socos.

there are clear, and distinct, differences among the varieties of both.

as with all plants, the seeds will yield based on their genetics.

some sellers are full of wind.

some breeders have worked lines for many years.

almost all breeders make outcrosses. these are unpredictable at best.

bottom line is that you should know your supplier or assume the risk of lotto odds.

feel free to contact me privately if you have specific questions.

Chris
    Chris@Adeniums.net

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all
    all of you are realy helping and I got plenty of information on topic
    going to place the order with kingadenium.
    shall post further development
    thanks once again
    kamlesh