Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19802998

Winter sowing update : Mr Ko seed.

User
10 years ago

Hello
My sowings of Mr Ko seeds during late October through to late January have produced some remarkably vigorous seedlings with rates of growth I have not seen before. Firstly a plant shown a couple of months ago at a height of 14", which now stands at 19" and is showing no signs of slowing down. It is a seedling of "Miracle x Ko 45", and this cross is the most vigorous by far. No caudex development as yet but signs of branching. The plant does not live in the position pictured but is in full light.

Comments (12)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Next a seedling of Ko 10 shown previously with the above. It now stands 18" and is still heading skyward. There is some caudex development.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Next, two seedlings of different crosses side by side for comparison. The plant on the left is Miraclex45 and the other is Ko26 x 37. The smaller plant was sown on 6th January, only a week later than the other.I have chosen each as typical of the batch rather than extremes.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And any sign of buds? Yes!!!!!! This is a first for me, seed sown 29th December so not quite 6 months old. Its that Miracle x 45 cross again (red x red). I'd better not crow too loudly in case the plants are too small to carry the flowers to completion and they shrivel and fall off. Still buds are buds. I got as close to the plant as possible with my phone.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally,
    a six month seedling of Ko 33 with first buds. I'm keeping everything crossed. Wish me luck.

I hope all your seedlings come good. Best of luck,
    Brian UK.

• jv44
    10 years ago

Outstanding! Your results give me some confidence growing my own adeniums from seed--I might have to try some seeds from Mr. Ko as well. As for the size being able to support blooms--my single blooming size plant has no problems whatsoever so far and it's only about 17 cm tall. Is that an arabicum on the left in the second photo?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello JV44,
    Thanks for your post, the plant is a regular pink Obesum, possibly my best plant all round so far. It puts on a wonderful show in july/august. It won a 2nd for me at a local C&S show last saturday in the Pachypodium section. It is from seed sown in 2009. Here is a better photo.

• averil
    10 years ago

Brian, good grief! What fantastic growth!, and to have buds so early, and lets face it we haven't had great weather in UK.., I'm dumbfounded. What do you feed these beautiful monstrosities on?
    Reds
    Averil UK

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm jealous of your seedlings already showing signs of blooming. I am hoping mine will start showing signs soon as they are almost 8 months old. Congrats!

Kirk

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Averil,
    Thanks for your kind words. Actually I tend to starve my plants compared to the feeding a lot of forum members do. I have recently changed to Chempak No. 8 at half strength. As you can see I underpot as well so it can't be the easy life!
    Happy growing
    Brian UK

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Wonderful to see such healthy and good growth, Brian.
    I hope that some of mine show signs this summer.
    Keep us posted on your progression.

Brian. Do you keep shade cloth on your greenhouse now and all summer?
    Hope you do not mind me asking.
    Rick

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Kirk,
    I'm sure you will soon reap your reward forthe care you give them. We still have the summer ahead of us.
    Happy growing.

Brian UK.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Rick,
    Yes I keep the shade cloth on all year. It is quite an open mesh and seems to allow enough sun to keep the plants happy without the leaves burning. I have tried several shade materials but others excluded too much light

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting