Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

another Bonsai DR

karyn1
11 years ago

My bonsai DR is doing well. I like the way the leaves are so much smaller then the others that I have in regular pots. It's all from the same batch of seeds. This time I draped the roots over a part of the rock instead of trying to spread them. The first time I attempted to plant it in a bonsai pot I spread out the roots and must have crimped them and the plant started to decline so I put it back in a regular pot for a while. I kind of like the way it looks with all the branches but really do need to prune a few off to help with air circulation. It's so full that it's holding moisure. I just wish it would bloom already.

{{gwi:345436}}

{{gwi:345437}}

{{gwi:345438}}

Comments (4)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, that is adorable!!! I have a really dumb question - do you just make them bonsai or are some just naturally tiny? I can't believe it could even flower, how awesome!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's from a regular A. obesum seed. I've been playing with this one for several years trying to keep it small. I've underpotted it and done a lot of pruning. The foliage on this one has remained small, about 1/3 the size of my others but the caudex has been slower to develop. I have no idea if the bloom size will be reduced as well or if the flowers will be a normal size, if it ever blooms! I've seen seeds out of Thailand advertised as "mini adenium" but haven't seen a plant so I have no idea if they exist or not.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Blooms and fruit aren't notably reduced in size on bonsai or other plants on which dwarfing techniques have been used. It's comical to see a very large apple or quince on bonsai trees when the leaves are so small and ramification so fine.

Al

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn
    What a cutie! Good to see you here!