Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Branch Break - Will It Heal?

elucas101
11 years ago

Yesterday I had moved my plants under the covered patio to keep them out of expected thunderstorms and wind, and I was horrified to see the wind had blown one of the plastic chairs on top of a few of my plants.

My beloved Arabicum had a branch bent to the point that it split the bark badly but it looks like it didn't break the white wood inside. I am really trying to avoid cutting it or losing it because the split is so close to the base and it's a main one out on the edge. The split is about an inch long.

I put fungicide in the split and then used plumbers tape to wrap up the split (it's non-adhesive and flexible). Do you think it will mend?! I'm really, really hoping it will.

I couldn't get a picture of the split, it's on the inside edge of the branch. So here's a picture of the wounded all bandaged up.

{{gwi:345491}}

And just for fun, here's a picture of a tiny bud forming on the plant!

{{gwi:345492}}

Comments (11)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Elucas, I hope it will..
    Marie

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

^ ..... especially since, by how you described the break, the function of the xylem wasn't significantly affected.

Al

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on the break: It healed, but it healed large and ugly! I'm surprised it made such a large scar considering it was a slit type break. I left the plumbers tape on there too long too probably which didn't help. The good news is I didn't lose the branch. I guess you live and learn.

{{gwi:345493}}

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

With times the scar will get better and less noticable.
    Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I agree with Marie that it will remodel over time and be less noticeable. It's great that you were able to save the branch.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Marie and Karyn - that picture makes it look bigger than it really is too. I was glad I was able to keep the branch.

11 years ago

Actually, if you don't like the scar, just truncate the branch at a point proximal to (below) the scar. The branch will quickly back-bud and all will soon be well. After severing the branch, wait a bit for the sap to stop leaking, then paint only the wound with waterproof wood glue. It will seal the wound, preventing substantial dieback of the cambium because of desiccation and the accompanying scar.

I'm sure someone is going to mention proper pruning procedures and how conventional wisdom is to avoid wound sealers, but this is not a plant in the landscape, in which we need to worry about the structural failure of 20 years down the road. I do this with every succulent I prune and all my bonsai trees, never having a hint that it even might be a problem.

This is one plant
    {{gwi:43055}}
    and it wouldn't have been possible to create if I hadn't painted the wound with a sealant to keep the cambium from dying back after the stem was truncated. It would have died back unevenly and noticeably, and all the new branches would have emerged from the stem at different heights instead of from the cambium immediately proximal to the wound.

Al

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al, that makes sense. That's a beautiful plant there, BTW. I think next year when it's time to prune I'll be considering cutting it down below the scar depending on what it looks like and how it grows out and when I do I will definitely seal it with waterproof wood glue.

When I wrapped this one up to heal (after putting fungicide in the cut) I really didn't know of a better way to keep it together so it didn't just gap open. Just out of curiosity, is there a better way I could have done this? I figured gluing it together would introduce the glue into part of the live plant and I would risk killing the tissue or the plant...or maybe I could have just taken the tape off sooner? You can kind of see how it created a slight bulge there too.

11 years ago

How you treated it was fine. I use vet wrap on my bonsai trees to protect the bark when I have to bend heavy branches, so that's probably what I would have used, but it serves the same purpose. There's not much you can do if you want to save the branch. It's like a broken bone - you need to stabilize it and give it time to knit back together. The problem with fast growing plants like Adenium is, those bulges on both sides of the tape come on very fast. They look out of place, so they draw your eye to them immediately. Not much you can do about that except prune the bulge & scar off at the next opportunity.

Al

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Emily,

I think you did a great job!!!

When you prune your tree back this early spring, you could go as far as the break and really cut the whole tree back hard.. "Like you mean it!!" LOL..sorry, just reminded me of someone!! I also have issues of trimmimg mine back and Al heped me with my issues on trimming. He also is the one who taught me about the waterproof wood glue. I use this on all of my DR cuts as well as the Plumeria cuts. ( trees only) not on the bottom of the new cuttings.

I Think it will be just fine and i know you must be pleased to save this limb. You actions on this fast break were right on!! I need AL's clapping hands here!!! LOL

Bravo!!!

Looking good Emily.

Take care,

Laura.

Thanks AL for all of the info... Good stuff as always!! : )

Before i hd the nerve to prune..

{{gwi:345494}}

Then after,...

{{gwi:36547}}
    Summertime..
    {{gwi:345495}}

now..

{{gwi:340948}}
    {{gwi:340943}}

i really like to trimm them in the early spring...

hope this helps..

Great job Emily!!!

Laura

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much Al, I sincerely appreciate the input and feel better knowing I did the only thing I really could have!

Laura, thanks so much! You definitely got a real out loud BAHAHAHA at the "like you mean it" comment, that's really funny and so true, as your plant shows a perfect example of. I did gasp a little at the cuts but then I see how full and balanced it made your tree, it's so beautiful. I'll certainly be back here asking for advice on pruning all of my DR next spring! They'll need it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH