Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

Running out of ideas--long--sorry

notolover
10 years ago

I'm about ready to give up on my Adeniums. I just don't know where to put them to keep the leaves on them.

I had them in the sunroom during winter/spring and they all got leaves and some flower buds in midspring and they were all looking fat and happy. After awhile, all the leaves fell off. I attributed that to the trees leafing out and blocking the afternoon sun to the sunroom, but maybe I was wrong.

Last summer I had them outside in the shade structure where I keep most of my cacti (I'm at 4700 ft so the sun is very intense and I wanted to protect them from the wind-even under the shade cloth the light meter is at the max) no leaves then either. The previous summer I had them under morning sun out by the vegetable garden. They were shaded from the harsh afternoon sun by a small tree; still no leaves.

Now I have them where they get full sun almost all day long; still no leaves. Could it be due to the night time temps getting too low (last week it was in the 40s, but they average in the 50s); the humidity is so low or the daily winds we have here? Or all of the above?

They are right at the edge of the sprinkler so it is a little more humid there and they are near the house so they stay a little warmer. My biggest one will get flowers, but I want leaves too. They are in a flower bed where dahlias, roses and daylilies are very happy.

I feed them with fish emulsion, should I rotate with something else?

I realize all of our conditions are different, but does anyone have any suggestions? I want them to be healthy, happy and leafy.

So is there any hope considering my climate?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!