Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Running out of ideas--long--sorry

Posted by notolover 5--Steppe desert (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 11:13

I'm about ready to give up on my Adeniums. I just don't know where to put them to keep the leaves on them.

I had them in the sunroom during winter/spring and they all got leaves and some flower buds in midspring and they were all looking fat and happy. After awhile, all the leaves fell off. I attributed that to the trees leafing out and blocking the afternoon sun to the sunroom, but maybe I was wrong.

Last summer I had them outside in the shade structure where I keep most of my cacti (I'm at 4700 ft so the sun is very intense and I wanted to protect them from the wind-even under the shade cloth the light meter is at the max) no leaves then either. The previous summer I had them under morning sun out by the vegetable garden. They were shaded from the harsh afternoon sun by a small tree; still no leaves.

Now I have them where they get full sun almost all day long; still no leaves. Could it be due to the night time temps getting too low (last week it was in the 40s, but they average in the 50s); the humidity is so low or the daily winds we have here? Or all of the above?

They are right at the edge of the sprinkler so it is a little more humid there and they are near the house so they stay a little warmer. My biggest one will get flowers, but I want leaves too. They are in a flower bed where dahlias, roses and daylilies are very happy.

I feed them with fish emulsion, should I rotate with something else?

I realize all of our conditions are different, but does anyone have any suggestions? I want them to be healthy, happy and leafy.

So is there any hope considering my climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running out of ideas--long--sorry

Can you show us some pictures?
Do you ever un-root them and see if they have healthy root system? I am sorry to hear that your adenium don't do well. They should be fully leaves at this time of the month.
Marie

o

I'll try to get some pics today. I guess it can't hurt to repot now and then I can check out the roots.

It just seems odd that all of them would be having root problems, that's why I think it is environmental.

o

My climate is similar, and mine are just leafing out now. I protect them till the night temps are in the 50's--I never leave them out in the 40's. cool and wet will rot them. A couple of weeks in the 80's and they usually get going for me. Dont be afaraid to water them when its hot. Hot and humid is what they like!
Mike

o

Thanks Mike,

It was in the 90s so I put them outside and then it cooled back down. It's hitting low 100s for the next week so maybe I'll see some leaves soon. They don't look like they rotted, thank goodness.

I know the leaves really can fill in fast if the plant is "happy" so I'll try to be patient. It's good to know that yours are just now starting so I can still hope. I'll see what the summer brings, but I'm running out of locations :-)

photo IMG_0947_zps69c51449.jpg

This post was edited by notolover on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:48

o

Here is pic from today, not very good, but I've got leaves!!!

Leaving out photo IMG_0957_zps4804de4d.jpg

o

I have had mine for about a year. It never seems to have leaves like the pictures I've seen here. Just tiny ones. It has bloomed. Do I need to fertilize? I'm afraid of overwatering and afraid of fertilizer burn.

o

I think they like a lot of water when they are growing. Your climate is probably similar to mine (very dry) so I water a lot in summer. I think I've found the sweet spot for them. They are near the lawn so it's more humid there, but they are close to the house so they stay a little warmer there than in the regular garden.

I only use fish emulsion and I'm due to feed them again. It stinks, but I think they like it
:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here