Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One of my little uns is ill

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:44

Hi folks, I need help. This plants foliage hasn't been right this year and I assumed bugs had been at it or it just needed feeding. However I've just been in the greenhouse and horrors he is covered in black spots. I uprooted it thinking there may be root rot and it looks like I'm correct (I think I am). Where do I go from here. Do I defoliate and cut away all bits of bad root? And then do I need to leave it out of soil for a while?
Thanks folks, I know you will help
Kind regards
Averil. I've put up three pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One of my little uns is ill

These black spots were not there yesterday

o

And finally, the roots with discoloured patches

FOLLOW UP: I've just scratched those dark patches with my nail and it's nice and healthy and white underneath and it's totally solid. I'm clueless

This post was edited by averil on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:58

o

To me the leaves look like spider mite damage. Those tiny critters can be difficult to see. As for the root, I'm not sure. Could be staining, perhaps?

Kirk

o

Hi Kirk, should I remove all the leaves and swab the whole plant with surgical spirit do you think. I have looked at the plant with a magnifying glass and I can't see bugs though some parts of the leaves feel sticky

o

I have done the removing leaves and treating. Didn't hurt the plant. Due to the damage on the leaves if you treat while leaving them on the leaves will die any way, in my experience. I figure remove the leaves to get rid of any lingering bugs/eggs and then treat the plant and then keep a close eye on it when new leaves start to appear. You can treat again after 3 or 4 days in case any eggs hatched to aid in breaking the cycle if you feel it may need it.

Kirk

o

Thanks Kirk. Your diagnosis is correct methinks. I've just been in the greenhouse and my peach tree is full of the beasts. I have treated all my adeniums, tho the rest look ok. The peach tree has left the building and I shall carry out chemical warfare on the staging lol
Many thanks again

o

Welcome. So far I've not had spider mites this year. Although I just launched a chemical warfare on some aphids I found on a couple of my adeniums. I swear they appear out of no where!

Kirk

o

Hello
Averil, inbeen using the product in the link below with good results, used as indicated doesn't harm the plants

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/rose-flower-care/products/disease-control-for-roses-flowers-shrubs/questions-answers

o

Averil,
And this one besides the disease control has for mites too,

About the aphids, I found out that the yellow ones are oleander aphids if have oleanders near look at them if they have for sure the adeniums will get them sooner than later too, they attack plants related to oleanders including adeniums and plumeria

Roberto

o

Here is the link ;)

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products/3-in-1-insect-disease-mite-control/questions-answers

o

Hi Averil. It's summer pruning time! Don't worry, it will better from it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here