Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

Feeding non bloomers

averil
9 years ago

Hi folks, I know I'm always moaning I don't get any flowers on my adeniums, so I've been thinking more about the way I feed them. We have a tomato food in uk called tomorite, I don't know if you get it over the pond or not. Anyways, I've been reading that this is good for flowering houseplants. I spoke to a nursery ref my goldfish plant and she said they feed all their flowering plants on tomorite. I'm going to give it a shot on a couple of mine and see what happens. Has anyone else used a tomato feed on adenium? Or am I mental
Kind regards
Averil

Comments (6)

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Averil,
    I read on pintrest about feeding all plants tomato food. I started with just miracle grow for tomatoes and I already have noticed my few desert rose plants are starting to bud. My plants are very slow to leaf out, so getting buds is exciting. So it must work .
    Sharon

• averil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon, thanks, that gives me hope lol. I shall use tomorite on a couple and see if I can get a bud ha ha. One bud isn't too much to ask for is it? ..... Knowing my luck it would drop off
    Thanks again

• roma0904
    9 years ago

http://adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

Hello, check the link above

Roberto

• averil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Roberto, thanks for the link. Hmmmm it says adenium flower better on high nitrogen. This feeding business is a quagmire. I'm going to have to experiment I think. Maybe alternate the type of feed. The plants are really healthy with loads of leaves. Maybe a good telling off May spur them on
    Thanks again

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi Averil, I too am in the same boat as you regarding non flowering DR's. I have tried everything under the sun and got the same results as you......nothing! Dyna Grow Foliage Pro which has a 9:3:6 NPK formula with added micro/macro nutrients and is what our US friends use a lot but it's not a UK product unfortunately and importing it may well prove problematic for us. Plus shipping costs more than double the price, at least it did when I checked it out last year, so a confiscated bottle is a no-no for me I'm afraid. Lots of other factors contribute to our lack of 'floriferousness' including optimal watering, light, seed strain/source, heat and drainage so I guess I have some other factors that are not quite right to get those elusive blooms. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong but I darned if I can.
    I search the shelves at every gardening outlet for a product with the formula above or as near as possible and I have yet to find one, but I'll let you know if I come across one. I have used Tomorite as it is obviously intended to promote flowers on our tomatoes and other flowering plants. So I will also let you know when my DR's have a heavy crop of juicy tomatoes hanging from them!

Gill UK

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Mmmmmmmmh, seems like you WERE doing something right judging from your recent post! :)

Gill UK