Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Won't bloom

I have a desert rose that I can't get to bloom. I've had this plant for about 4 years. I keep it in the gritty mix, outside in full sun, and water it regularly. At this point, I'm ok growing it for it's thick caudex, so blooms would be a nice addition. Any advice on getting blooms would be appreciated.
Here's a picture from last year.
{{gwi:94173}}

Rob

Comments (16)

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Rob, do you give it 20 20 20? How about slow release fertilizer?
    Try that and see if it work.

Marie

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Rob,
    I think it's are area we live in. The only blooms I have ever had are already on the plants when I bought them. I'm still waiting for half of mine to leaf out.
    No blooms again for me this summer.
    Sharon

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Whip,
    Not that it matters, but it looks as though you have one branch grafted (cleft) and one from base of caudex.
    If you are giving it atleast 6-8hrs. of sunlight and starting to fertilize now you may see buds come in the next few months.
    With mine, they seem to flower when all conditions and age is favorable. No hurrying up.
    Sunlight more important.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Sharon, I am so glad you mentioned that your adeniums are still working on leafing out. Mine are too. This has been a very frustrating spring. It has been cloudy and cool and my most of my adeniums still do not have leaves. crazy.

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

I wonder has anyone tried growlights to produce buds ?

Britta ( in Norway )

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marie,
    I use a general purpose fertilizer from Schultz at half strength most times I water.
    Sharon,
    I wonder how much our weather holds us back.
    Rick,
    You are correct. The plant has a branch from the graft and the base. That's part of the reason I'd like to see it bloom. he plant has been outside for about a month.
    I'm giving serious consideration to putting this and maybe a few other plants directly in the ground for the summer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

• roma0904
    9 years ago

I have a couple of adeniums on the ground with good results, but I live in south Texas where part of spring, all summer and part of fall have temperatures above 100 f and soil dries fast, I wouldn't risk to get a rotten root
    How many times have you repot this adenium? They say tomato fertilizers help adeniums to bloom faster, I am about to start to experiment with it, in another post Averil says she had used for 2 weeks and hers is starting to bloom
    Roberto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Whip,
    It's possible the weather has a lot to do with it. It's my understanding that these plants like it hot and dry! I'm in Tucson, Az. 105 today , little to no humidity. My plant is only 5 yrs old and was blooming when I got it at only 4" .

I know someone in New Hampshire who can't get these to bloom either.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Rob!!

I agree, fertilize. Sun.. It's in a great draining mix.. I notice mine will bloom quicker after I prune the branches back.

Mine are just leafing out here in Virginia and some are blooming before they get leaves.. Go figure?

I think it a combination of the right elements, but I really believe In the heat too.

Good luck!,

Laura

• averil
    9 years ago

Mine wouldn't bloom and it looks like one has got buds after two weeks on tomorite tomato feed. It might be worth a try
    Kind regards

• User
    9 years ago

Rob,
    What range of temps do you get at this time of year where you live ? I am wondering if nightime temps are too low to give success outdoors?
    Brian UK

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roberto,
    I re-potted and root trimmed this plant last spring.

Brian
    Our weather is kinda crazy. Some days in the high 90's and not cooling off much at night. Other days we will see 70s and 80s during the day and dropping into the 60s at night. Humidity is also all over place with the temps.

Rob

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It worked. I put it in the ground a while back, and basically ignored it. It's been cooler and wetter than normal.
    {{gwi:346018}}
    So I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't giving it enough nutrients or enough water.
    Rob

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Rob, great you got some flowers

I was reading a guy from Thailand, he says every time he is going to an adenium competition, a month before he stops watering it for 2 weeks then he waters it a lot with a water soluble fertilizer high in phosphate and by the time of the contest they are full of flowers, I will look for the link and share to you
    I haven try because temperatures have been in the 105-110f and i think 2 weeks without water would be too much and I'm afraid to burn the plants with the combination of high temperatures and fertilizer, hope temperatures cool down a little bit by mid September and I will try

Roberto

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Hopefully you can see all three adeniums all three are different but I don't remember their names. The one to the right, I found on Lowes floor, it had no leaves looked dead and we did not know what it was. She said I could have it. It did bloom beautiful flowers, growing but no more blooms, how often do they bloom? Found some yellow leaves, could I be watering it too much? The one on left was bare growing, if you can see it looks like a tiny little bloom is beginning. The one in the middle has not bloomed At all. Hope it does. Can you identify different ones. How often do they bloom. I was thinking about getting a large pot and placing all three together, any suggestions. Through title might look pretty if all three bloom in same pot

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

I use regular Miracle Grow (not the super bloom) and Epson salt once a month during the summer for all my plants. I mix 3 gallons of water, 2 TBSP MG, 2 TBSP Epson Salt. I use this for plumeria, tropical hibiscus, and DR's. The tropical hibiscus get fertilizer once a week during the summer, but get this mix every other day during spring and fall.

Lonnie