Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jv44

Seeds from Thailand

jv44
10 years ago

OK, so early in May I ordered some adenium seeds from adeniumseeds.com in Thailand....they were shipped May 15 and arrived here May 28. All arabicums and Thai socos (except for a bonus free packet of obesum mixed colors) were sown the day I received them. No photos yet....but I can tell you A. arabicum "Black Giant" germinates like crazy--I had 11 of 22 up by May 30...as of today there are 15 seedlings. Thai socotranum S1/Golden Bell I have 7 seedlings from 8 seeds, Thai soco Khao Hin Zon I have 2 of 8 germinated so far. And Thai soco PBN (Phet or Petch Ban Na) 5 of 8 seeds are up now. The Saudi and Yemen arabicum seeds are a bit slower but this morning I see 14 Yemen arabicums (out of 22 seeds) have come up overnight!

I just sowed 7 seeds of A. arabicum "Shada" yesterday....and I still have 10 seeds of Desert Night Fork coming that I bought on Ebay....as well as 5 seeds of arabicum "Black Dragon", 5 seeds of "Black Pearl", and 5 seeds of arabicum dwarf mix still coming from Britain. Now....if we could just get some REAL summer weather I could get all these seedlings outside later this month.

Comments (7)

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Oh wow! I'd love to germinate all of those as well. Congrats! You're going to be very busy come repotting time. LOL

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Ooooh more babies to admire so we hope to see those pics real soon! It's surprising how quick they grow on. You have had good results with your seeds so far, they must have been very fresh from a good supplier, hopefully the others will do the same.
    Gill UK

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

JV44, you need a bigger backyard for all your babies.
    Rememeber to post for us to see, we want to look at them from time to time.

Marie

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an updated photo of my seedlings. Almost all of these are from adeniumseeds.com except the ones in the black plastic container in the back on the left--those are obesum seedlings from another source that were sown May 20. Here you can see both of the "albinos" in the front--the black rectangular container is the "Black Giant" arabicums while the white rectangular container on the right has the Thai soco S1 and KHZ seedlings. The round container in the back on the far right are the Yemen arabicums, the rest are mixed Saudi arabicums, Thai soco PBN and some of the mixed color obesums....and one pot of Lapidaria margaretae I found at Home Depot for $2.98--but they had no adeniums.

• 11otis
    10 years ago

jV44: Is there anything you have to do differently when sowing the Thai Soco from say Obesum? The caudex on Thai Soco is very intriguing and I am playing with the idea of odering some seeds. it's August already and I'm concern re. germinating success in the not so sunny and so much rainy days Pacific Northwest.

• jv44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't do anything differently for Thai soco seeds than obesums--they all go into 100% coir. It works the best for me for quickly developing a good root system. It may be late for sowing adenium seeds unless you're using an electric seed germinating mat and you've either already got proper lights (at least T5 HO fluorescents) or plan on getting them by early Sept., like I do. I know obesums can be kept growing almost year-round given enough heat/light/water & nutrients.....and arabicums & Thai socos have a winter dormancy--but I read somewhere that you can keep them growing through their first winter. We'll see what happens come winter.....

Mike in MN

P.S. The photo shows some of my Yemen arabicum seedlings sown May 28 in a 50/50 mix of coir and bonsai potting media a9fter taking them out of their com/pot to pot up singly. Some of these have stems that are almost as thick as my pinkie finger--well over 1 cm!

• 11otis
    10 years ago

I do have 2 growing mats (9x20") and 2 of the T5 - 24"/24 watts fluorescent full spectrum growing lights. It doesn't say HO (high output?) though. Those will work too I think.
    I'm new to this group and I have no previous knowledge how to care for DRs etc. I'm still reading the old stuff, post by post, page by page starting from the oldest and jumping to the most recent, trying to keep up with real time. I do have coir also. However, it's a mix 1:1:1 of coir, peat moss and sand. Leftover when I was trying to grow lilium from seed. I am hesitant to use this because I read somewhere here, no peat moss, and no sand because sand is too fine and will pack. I forgot the reason why no peat moss should be used. Then somebody, I don't remember who, used 100% of the fines when sieving Turface for the Gritty Mix. I have a bag coming so maybe I'll try this way.