Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me save my Adenium!

Posted by cathy7pham none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:06

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me save my adenium. My mother has had this plant, desert rose, for over 10 years and has recently given it to me. I absolutely love this plant so when i took it in I repotted the plant to a larger one because it was just too big for the old. Without reading much into it, I pruned some of the roots and raised it above its normal soil level, and set it aside for about 2weeks now. But recently, we have had a few days of rain, I tried to hide it as best I could but to my dismay, this morning found that the main root has rotted. There are still some good roots left, the leaves are still in tacked and buds are still forming, please, is there anything I can do to save it? I can't really cut out the rot because that will mean cutting the plant in half.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me save my Adenium!

Cathy, I may be wrong but IMHO the only way to save it it's to cut all rotten parts, disinfect it, treat with anti fungal and keep it dry until it calluses over, then pot it in to a dry mix and wait with only misting. I guess, you pruned roots and repotted right after, so there were not healed exposed cuts covered with soil and all bacteria and fungal spores could get in. There are experienced DR growers here who will most likely give you advice soon.
Good luck, Aggie

o

I do the same thing that Aggie suggested. I take a sharp clean knife (wash it with bleach) and cut out all the rotted tissue then dust it with a fungicide and allow it to dry completely. As long as there's enough healthy tissue remaining and the rot doesn't spread this usually works well. Good luck.

o

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll gather up my wits and dissect my poor plant, can't see what else I can do wrong. I've plucked off all the buds hoping the plant can put all it's energy into healing. Fingers crossed!

o

if you look on you tube when they cut the roots they leave them out to dry for some time...i would research it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here