Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this syrup type substance

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 15:39

Hi folks I'm after a bit of advice. On a couple of occasions I have noticed a substance that looks very like golden syrup on the growth points of my adeniums. I couldn't post a pic because I couldn't get a good enough close up. I have removed it with a q tip and I can't see any beasts. Does anyone know what this is. Could it be some kind of sap? Once again thanks for any help
Kind regards to all
Averil UK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this syrup type substance

Averil,
I have seen a similar substance on other plants, but not my Adeniums.
The sap that the Adeniums lose is clear. I do not remember it turning amber colored afterwards.
Makes one think that possibly it is a healing process from an injury from something (insects, etc.)

Why not send a note off to durch, Chris Durham from Durham Botanicals.
He is a wealth of knowledge and has always been very gracious about receiving private quearies.
Rick

o

Thanks Rick, I shall send a note. I've noticed this substance a few times but the plants are very healthy
Many thanks
Averil UK

o

Hi Averil. I think you will find that it is indeed the sap. As Rick says, it runs out of the plant as a clear substance, but once it is in contact with the air it dries to a brownish colour, reminiscent of the 'syrup' you may be seeing. I have also had this happen on my plants for eg. when I have removed or accidentally knocked off a leaf. Hope this helps.
Gill UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:43

o

• Posted by JV44 Zone 4 MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 17:31

I've also seen this amber-colored substance on a few of my pachypodiums occasionally, usually coming from a broken leaf--possibly caused by some small critter thinking said leaf might make a good meal. I don't see it very often so I imagine these critters learn very quickly that pachy leaves don't taste good at all.

o

Averil i am no expert but i did notice a little of sap runs out when i pinched of the flower from a newly potted DR, so i agree with the rest.so keep your plant away from rain if anything to help in the healing process.but i wouldn't be concern.plant is so evolved to heal them self perfectly after a trauma.i think i read that someone here recommended using honey for their antiseptic ability.i cant remember his/her name.just what i think it is from reading .good luck
Ahmed

o

Thanks everyone. You are all such a big help. That puts my mind at rest
Kind regards
Averil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here