Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heart_in_bloom

Adenium somalense seedling needs help !

heart_in_bloom
9 years ago

I have only two A. somalense seedlings, a couple of months old, and one of them is struggleing.

HELP !

Leaves are turning matte and yellow and fall off. One seed leaf and four true leaves have fallen off.

What is left is the two tiny newest leaves, they are still fresh and shiny. And the last seed leaf which is matte and partly yellow, so will fall off soon.

Steem is ok.

Roots are fine. I took it out of the pot to check, and then I changed the soil, don't know if that will make any difference.

QUESTION IS :
In this situation, should I keep the seedling as close to the window as possible, to get the maximum amount of light ? Or should I keep it out of direct sunlight ?

This is really the only factor I can change as the situation is ...

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:45

Comments (12)

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Britta, I hope you can save them.
    If they still small, I would keep them out of direct sunlight and not so wet all the time.

Marie

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Marie

I appreciate your advice as I know you have a lot of experience with A.s . I shall have to be more careful with my watering, maybe.

Are somalense seedlings / plants more sensitive than other Adeniums ?
    I wonder because I have not had this happening to me with other types of Adenium seed plants.

Britta ( in Norway )

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Britta,
    I have grown a few from seed and have found them to be more sensitive to cold/wet conditions. Many of mine seem to have non typical leaf shape than that of photo's of Somalense species. Some say it is due to the crossing that has been done and need to see a flower to have better idea of type?
    Much of the info on this species does state the intolerance of being cold and too moist.
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Rick

The seedling might have been too moist. That is probably how the trouble started. I'll be very careful with the water can from now on.

I would really like to save this seedling because the two somalense seedlings are so different, one tall and thin, and one with very fat steem. I'd really like to see both of them develop into mature plants. It's the thin one that has problems, the fat one looks as healty as can be.

Britta ( in Norway )

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

I hope they both mature for you.
    I purchased a plant 2-3 yrs. ago labeled Somalense and it is very fat now and has numerous terminal grows, but not flowered for me yet. Last year set buds after I brought it in for fall and subsequently dropped them. Hoping to see something this year.
    My one seedling from sowing in 2011 was one of my largest of all and doing so well and I got over zealous and must have kept to moist in winter and it rotted. Very disappointed.
    As you mentioned about these in relation to the other Adenium types you raise. I am beginning to think that they definitely are more sensitive.
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Useful information , Rick

I shall have to consider carefully where I store them in Winter.

Britta ( in Norway )

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Here are my A. somalense seedlings. The ones in the back I planted a few months ago, and the ones up front I planted this month. Now they are almost the same size, which shows me I didn't gain anything by planting early. Mine are in a south facing window and seem pretty fat and happy now.

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

As I said, surprised the new ones grew so much faster than the ones I planted months ago...I think warmth and hours of daylight are the keys.

Christopher

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Your seedlings look good Christopher.

Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Looking great Christopher!!!

;-)

Laura

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago