Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Result of last year grafts.

Marie Tran
11 years ago

Last year was my first time experiment, I did some grafts on my adenium cuttings. Here are 2 out of 7 grafts that took. The cuttings bloom like crazy since early May and still very strong.

First picture was the plant that I used for scions. The 2 cuttings plants were about 6 years old without caudexes.

{{gwi:346553}}

{{gwi:346554}}

{{gwi:346555}}

{{gwi:346556}}

Last week I did many more grafts for me and my 5 other friends. I was having fun giving a grafts lesson to my friends in my patio and together we did over 60 grafts. (20 for me alone). Here they are, I keep them in shade area without water until I see new leaves. It will be another week before any action, and the remove of it's plastic bags.

{{gwi:346557}}

{{gwi:346558}}

Comments (42)

• juniperbrea
    11 years ago

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!! Love the little DR forest you have there!

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Your plants look great! Could you post some details of your grafting method-and maybe some closeup pics if the grafts?
    I think a grafting experiment is in my near future.
    Thanks
    Mike

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Juniperbrea and Mike.
    I learned about graft on Youtube and a few hints from a friend in VietNam. I will post some close-up pictures and steps when I get home from work.
    Marie

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Marie, you're just amazing with the DR's! And even having grafting 'classes', that's great!!! Thanks so much for showing us those pictures.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Marie, that's a lot of grafting! Congrats on last year plants!
    What kind of grafts you do V or flat? Looks like a lot of DR growers are doing now flat grafts, short term these look nicer that traditional V but I haven't seen older plants with this type of grafts. Any thoughts on it?

Aggie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Marie,

I dont even have words to explain how helpful you are and how you have the "magic touch" You are a master with these beauties.

It would be so much fun to be with you and learn as you work with your trees. We all here would love to be close to you and just visit your yard.. Then to even imagine to be able to enjoy watching you graft would be such a joy...

Thank you so much for this thread...

Your trees are simply amazing!!!

Take Good Care,

Laura

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Thank you Laura.....your are so so sweet.

About 5 years ago I bought so many DR seeds from Ebay. At first I was having hard time keeping their names straight. I used popsicle sticks, but they didn't last very long because they got wet and broke. I went to Home Depot and found out it cost about $2.12 for each plant name tag. (I didn't buy any since I have over 150 babies DR)

I went to garage sale looking for used illuminum window blind. ($1 each) I cut them into about 4 inches and make about 500 name tags for just $1

Later all of my babies desert rose bloom into pink.....so much for all the effort to keeping names straight.

But this time, I have double and triple DR to graft and the name tags are good to use again.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just came home from vacation in NY and DC, I checked my grafts and 18 grafts took.....hooray hooray.....
    (18 out of 20) Most of the grafts I did for my friends also took. One friend didn't take good care afterward and only 1/2 her grafts took, because she kept them partly sun. (no sun) Only 5 out of 11 of her grafts took.
    Marie

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Marie,
    Congrats on your grafts.
    Did you love New York?
    I loved that place.
    Trying my hand at growing seeds again.waiting and waiting for something to sprout. With The very high tempts.we have been having lately , I think they cooked. Thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sharon.
    No, I didn't like NY, never walk that much in my life. (I walk one hour each morning 5 days per week)
    So many people and they all in the hurry to get to somewhere. Good luck on your growing seeds.
    Marie

• keylyn
    11 years ago

very inspiring and helpful!
    i'd absolutely adopt this advice until the time i have a handful of compatible scion and our weather allows me to because otherwise.
    now this majestic plant is one of my favorites after bougainvillea and hibiscus tree.

• averil
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness these are absolutely gorgeous.!!! Its kind of you to have posted pics and alll the info to go with them

• pcput
    11 years ago

Marie, Thanks so much for this post. It looks like wax or glue at the graft site under the plastic. Is that the sap? I cut mine back for the first time and never saw any sap to speak of. Peg

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peg, I didn't use any wax or glue under the plastic bag.
    Marie

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

Marie,

Very impressive. Thank you for sharing. You are a blessing to all of us in many different ways. Am glad I live in Houston and that I can go to places where you buy your plants. DOnt worry, I wont get as addicted as you are having more than 150 DR plants to carry into the garage during winter.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between flat and v cuts?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brian, I have about 150 pots, but only about 80 DR (many of them are still very small from seeds) and the rest of them with Thorn of Crown and other plants.

Youtube will be better for you to see the different between V graft and flat graft.

I will post more pictures soon, because one graft scion is about to bloom only after 2 months.
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Just Beautiful Marie!!!

Congratuaions on the grafts that made it!!

I would love to watch you work on your trees.

Just lovely!!

Laura

• averil
    11 years ago

I know this will sound stupid. Why do you graft? Is it to match a good flowering plant to a good caudex. Ive been googling around and i can see a lot of grafting but im not sure why its actually done
    Averil

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Averil, most of adenium with commond pink and mostly single, but when you graft, you use double and triple bloom to a caudex for a better look. Also to make more than one kind of bloom on the same plant. I have few plants that contain 3 or 4 colors, and when they bloom at the same time, they look very pretty.

People in Thailand graft most adenium before list for sale, other wise people like me don't need many but one or two pots with pink color.

Marie

• averil
    11 years ago

Thanks Marie, that makes good sense. Id love to see one with more than one colour of bloom on it. Must be beautiful

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Averil, search for this thread and you see.
    One of the pot that I have with 4 colors bloomed at the same time. (all single)

"1 adenium with 4 colors bloom (For Frank)"
    marie

• averil
    11 years ago

Marie,
    I have just found the thread with the multi-coloured blooms. Absolutely gorgeous and stunning!! All the other plants are so beautiful. You are an absolute wonder with these beauties
    Averil

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

Marie, I admire your patience with these plants. I am learning how to be more patient with plant care. COT (crown of thorns) are also beautiful if potted. My mom had a collection of them and she planted them on the ground and they grew up fast. Theygave excellent exotic flowers especially those varieties from Thailand. But their charm and appeal diminish when there are too many of them crowding the garden. So she decided to cut them off and throw them away. But with DR, since I have spent money on it, I will take care of them just as you patiently bring your plants inside during winter.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Averil and Brian.
    Brian, I do collect COT and if you want to see my collection click the link below. Copy and paste if it doesn't work.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0518211326868.html

Marie

• averil
    11 years ago

Marie, I have just looked at your crown of thorns. Im speechless!!! Ive never seen these plants before, they are so beautiful. Ive decided that if there is an afterlife, i shall request to come back as a plant and be put in your garden cos i know i will flourish lol :)
    Averil

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Averil, Crown of Thorn are easy to care for, they take the cold better than Desert Rose, also cheaper, and they bloom all year around (if they bloom) and the bloom last about 1-2 months.

Marie

• BrrianTX
    11 years ago

Marie,

Your COT collection is simply beautiful. They are very healthy and they look happy where they are. DRs and COTs are well suited for S TX weather. They are easy to grow in TX. I am restraining myself from adding COTs in my collection because I travel for work 100%. But looking at the photos of your blooming collection, it it very tempting to collect them. I will try using the same soil pot mix that you use.

You are right, you may not have expensive purses and brand name clothes to keep you happy. But the smile that you get every morning when your blooming plants are greeting you with a smile to start your day, that is priceless.

Keep us motivated Marie..
    Many Thanks,
    Brian

• yumtomatoes
    11 years ago

So you just use regular old scotch tape? What about paper tape?

• tolip
    11 years ago

Helo marie

I'm new to adeniums and want to try out grafting. Sometimes I do because of immediate need when some plants are dying.

May I ask:
    Why is covering with the plastic bag after the graft so important? What is it for?

Why is it important to watch the weather for no rain?

Why do you need to use two separate blades, one for the scion and one for the plant to be grafted on?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Tolip, welcome to the forum. I hope you find plenty of info in this forum to care for your DR.

1- Cover with plastic to keep it from drying out.
    2- When rain, with mosture, the grafts don't take.
    3- If you use same blades without rubbing alcohol, very low chance, because the sap from one plant gets on another plant.

If you leave the grafts out in the sun, the plastic get mosture in it and the grafts don't take either.

Ask more question if you not so sure. People in this forum will help you.
    Marie

• tolip
    11 years ago

Thanks for the answers Marie.

I've so far attempted three grafts, all cleft type. and all unsuccessful. Probably they had a bit of morning sun and also I watered the root stock during this time.

Long way to go for me,

• tolip
    11 years ago

I've so far attempted three grafts, all cleft type. and all unsuccessful. Probably they had a bit of morning sun and also I watered the root stock during this time.

Long way to go for me,

• tolip
    11 years ago

Long way to go for me,

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Bumping up this topic for those of us that are planning to attempt some grafting this year. I think Marie has a lot of great information.

Kirk

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Kirk, thanks for bumping this!

I tried a graft a couple of months ago and have no idea when I can pull off the plastic and tape and start watering. There's no bud growth yet.

Anyone know when I can remove all the coverings?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jandey, whenever you see new growth, about 2 weeks. You can remove the plastic and water, wait another week before remove the tape around the scion.

You said, you graft 2 months ago? It is still too early to do any graft..(if you in Texas)..I always wait until the weather is hot, around May or June (after my plants finish with blooming season). It needs humidity for grafts to take.
    Marie

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Marie, thank you again for all your great information!

I checked the graft last week and it didn't take at all. The scion stayed firm, but no connection grew between the two flat ends. Now I know it was bad timing. :( I'll try to root the tiny scion piece since it callused nicely.

• marialeal20 Leal
    9 years ago

Thanks Marie have just printed out your method and I am looking forward to studying it and trying to master it.
    Cheers Maria

• halocline
    8 years ago

Just ran across this site, good flat graft instructions.

https://adeniumlove.wordpress.com/2011/01/29/250/

Rob

• halocline
    6 years ago

Amazon has not carried this item for 2-3 years, but I noticed it's back in stock. Sometimes I prefer 2" to 1" .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDF3X6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3KN6K4K97UPYT&colid=31Q5EVXPGOWHI

Rob

• halocline
    6 years ago

If you don't live in a humid environment, place a small bag over the taped graft.

Rob

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?