Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neoncactus

New to adeniums, but so far my seedlings are looking well!

NeonCactus
10 years ago

These guys are about 3 weeks old. I haven't transplanted them from their tupperware home just yet, but when I do transplant them should I keep them in soil or move them into a gritty succulent type mix?

What do you even do with all these seedlings?! I thought maybe 2 at most would sprout, and now I have 13 0_0

Any care tips you'd care to add would be much appreciated!

Comments (10)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Wow....only 3 weeks? I should call you master, because I have 6 seedlings 3 months old and still don't look that good.
    They are so cute.
    They can be on their own now....foam cups with holes are good.
    Marie

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? Someone told me they were smaller than normal. I was just happy they all sprouted.

I have been keeping a photo diary of sorts. Here is a picture of them on June 6th. They were planted on the 4th (which would have just been a picture of dirt so I didn't take one haha).

So when I replant them should I replant with soil or a gritty succulent mix? Thanks for your help!

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

They look great! I wouldn't transplant them until at least their third set of true leaves although these seedlings are quite resilient. I had one that was uprooted the first week and I just gently covered it with a thin layer of soil and it never seemed to be bothered. Looks like the mix you have them in would be fine for a good while.

Kirk

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

My lotus and super moon desert rose seedlings are almost ready to be potted up!! So HAPPY and they were easy to sprout indoors e/my grow light on

• User
    10 years ago

Neoncactus,
    Wow! How many seedlings do you have? 1300? or 130?
    That's a lot of desert rose.
    They look sooo healthy. I'm impressed.
    Please continue to post pics so we can see them grow.
    What do I look for if I want to collect seeds? My two have both bloomed, in fact my pink one is reblooming already and I want to collect some, what do the seeds look like?
    Thanks for posting the pics, interesting.

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Butterfly4U,

I have 13 seedlings :) Even this many are a lot to handle for me right now. They are my first seedlings that I purchased from an Ebay seller. I might have to give some of these away since I won't have enough pots for 13 adeniums.

Like I mentioned before I'm totally brand new to adeniums so I wouldn't know what to look for when it comes to seed pods. The seeds themselves look like grains of wheat. Brown and slender with a textured surface.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

NeonCacuts, you can use red solo cups for quite awhile for your 13 seedlings until you can find the appropriate pots.

Butterfly, for lack of a better way to explain, the seed pods look like green beans. When you break them open there is the brown/tannish seed that Neon describes above.

Good luck with your seedlings. They look so nice and healthy.

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

Thanks NeonCactus

I got a desk lamp & grow light strip from Walmart. I set it up in my small closet that has a bench and put all seedlings/rehab/over winter plants in there. It gets warm in the closet during the day from all the lights and at 5pm I pull the plug from the wall and keep the door open so air circulate. Lights are 6am-5pm because I leave for work at 6:20 and get home at 5. So u have one curly bulb (warm spectrum) and LED which is (cool spectrum) and the light strip which the color is purple so it's the broad spectrum light. And it is cheap so here's pic lol my mom gave me the idea since all my plants Weren't used to the dry air in our new home here and kept dying. Leaf drop, shriveled branches, yellowing, it was bad and plants aren't cheap, so I thank mom for this idea