Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riosrayne

to prune or not to prune

ronwel
9 years ago

Hey all, i recently purchased an edenium online, and it showed up in pretty sad shape. Its been in its pot for a little over a week now, and i would like to trim back a leggy, mangled top branch. Too soon?

Comments (6)

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

I'd say prune !

When you prune you give the plant a break, it will grow new roots and get established, and then, when it's good and ready, it will grow new branches and form a more bushy plant.

If the plant were mine, I'd not only cut the top branch ( well under where it branches ), I'd also cut the thin branch to the right in the picture. I would probably also cut the other branches to get more branching, and to get new fresh and shiny leaves.

After I'd finished there probably would be no leaves left.

But in a month I'd have a TOTALLY RENEWED and fantastic plant.

Britta ( in Norway )

• ronwel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the input. That is pretty much exactly how i planned to prune it ( the branch is even broken at the split from being shoved into a too small box) i was just afraid that since it shipped bare route only a week ago that cutting it now would over stress it.
    Im going to go for it though, thank you.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Britta, you gave wonderful advices.

Marie

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Ronwel,
    nice to hear that I was sort of confirming your own thoughts !

:-)

Also ; thanks Marie !

I pruned most of my A.s quite hard at the same time as I potted up and rised them in the beginning of April.

And it's incredible how the plants have improved, branched and grown, during those 2 1/2 months since.

I'm absolutly fascinated.

( No flower buds though ... We had very sunny weather in May, the last month of Spring. But now in June, so according to the calender Summer, it's been cloudy much of the time. )

Britta ( in Norway )

• ronwel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one too that has no plans to bloom this year, it got invaded by mealy bugs last fall, so i decided to let it go dormant to help get rid of them. I think i let it go a little far though since it took over a month to grow back out.

Follow up: my new d.r. is now heavily pruned, all but one branch, which has a bud so i didnt have the heart.

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Yes, hard to want to prune a branch with a bud. But a lot of times you'll get new buds within 3 months of pruning branches. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Kirk

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz