Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling ID?

Posted by mnspry 9 Kemah, Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 20:31

I currently have 10 adenium seedlings growing. One of the seedlings is growing lighter than the rest. The leaves are almost white and the base is pinkish. I bought a pack of misc. adenium seeds so I have no idea what kind of adeniums are growing (I like being surprised).
Has anyone seen seedlings grow this color? Could there be something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling ID?

Are the leaves white?

o

Are the leaves white?

o

• Posted by mnspry 9 Kemah, Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 8:37

Almost. There's just a hint of yellow/green.

o

Mnspry,

Question 1. As far as I know, you can not tell what adenium you have until it is an adult or until it blooms. Even then, I am not sure how positive you can be with identification when you consider that adenium sellers name their cultivars almost with random words strung together like Red Popcorn Festival or what-what.

Adenium growers usually isolate blooming plants and hand-pollinate them in the hopes of reproducing the characteristics they want. There is no statistics available to determine the success rate. I read in this forum that you only have about 20 percent chance of seed-grown plants blooming as advertised and that already assumes that the seller went through the trouble of hand-pollination in a clean room.

If you want a specific kind of adenium, you are better off buying a grafted plant that has been proven to bloom in whatever way.

Question 2. I believe you have an albino seedling. They are rather weak and would most likely die. If any of the more experienced growers here have successfully grown these seedlings, I have not read about it.

I hope this helps.

Pagan

o

I agree with Pagan,
I also think that the white seedling is an albino. That means that the seedling has no green color and that it will die.

I have some A. arabicum seedlings sown this spring. Two of them look like your white one, and the leaves are now beginning to wilt, they go brown ...

But of course you must keep it and see what happens.

Britta ( in Norway )

o

• Posted by mnspry 9 Kemah, Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:19

Thank you for all the info.
I have never heard of an albino plant before. That is a first for me.
I will keep my eye on it and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here