Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdrums55

First trim job

timbersmith
9 years ago

Hey All, long time lurker here checking to see if everything looks good... I started this adenium from seed probably about 5 or 6 years ago, and just now went ahead and pruned it for the first time. I wanted to last year, but each time I thought about it, it went and bloomed on me, and then set seed pods.

Here it is before I cleaned it up and pruned it. My guess is it was about 16" tall, and definitely ready for that trim - just never got around to doing so (or didn't want to, possibly) until now.
{{gwi:347034}}

These next two are of the caudex after removing it from the pot. I've also never raised it until now, either - it has been in this pot for about 2 years or so, and last time I saw the caudex it was little more than a golf ball with a tail - big change since then...

{{gwi:347035}}

{{gwi:347036}}

And here it is after that pruning job. The main stalk got cut at an angle to maybe help facilitate branching on the bare side. I used a fresh razor blade for the job, and dusted with cinnamon. I also raised it about an inch since the roots were starting to stick out the bottom as it was.

{{gwi:347037}}

{{gwi:347038}}

Now we'll just have to see how and where the new branches come in at.

Teaser pic: What the blooms look like (pic from 2012). Standard-ish single pink, but I'm not complaining.

{{gwi:347039}}

So does the prune job sound decent? Is that about where others would have trimmed, or maybe should have gone lower (I'll leave it as is and see how it responds before trying again sometime down the road)?