Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatadeniumguy

My New Adenium Obesum

thatadeniumguy
10 years ago

i just got it today. it is wilted and parts of the stem and caudex have been rubbed up against the packaging too much and are raw. the package arrived very dented and damaged. I hope it will survive. the caudex is about 7 inches long, and has a near 20" circumference. I bought it off ebay, the seller was all the way on the east coast, and im on the west coast so you can imagine the shipping stress (it was shipped bareroot). It was packaged nicely at least, nice and tight. Anyways i didnt realize the plant'd be this big so I had to go out and buy a whole new pot over 2x as large as the original. It has flowers on it right now as well as flower buds, 80% fell off during shipping but I still have a good 10 - 20. Pics uploaded VERY shortly (please be patient)
Note* Plant is by and far from its best condition, as I said it is very, very stressed out, has dropped some leaves, and looks very upset.
Indoor plant

Heres the stunning part (get read. drum roll plz..... :) )

Its over 15 years old and i got it for the price of 26$! :)

Comments (18)

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I'm sure it will recover nicely. And that's an awesome price! Congrats!

Kirk

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic1

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caudex
    I cant upload my favorite picture because it is 5001K in size... Its literally 1 over the limit.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is it okay if the roots are slightly above the soil line? (As seen in the following picture)

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium Under Grow Lights (1 60 watt equivalent cfl)

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damaged flower

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I am no expert by any means, but I do not know if I would want it to flower right now after being lifted and shipped. I would have a tendency to believe that the flowering is going to take a lot of energy and moisture to keep it going. As resilient as they are I would want to ask someone as such a large plant for such a cheap price would be horrible to lose.
    Possibly send a note off to Chris (durch) from Durham Botanicals. He has been growing these and I am sure had many shipped to him.
    My take on it.
    Rick

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

That's a great plant and a heck of a nice price. I hope it has settled in and gotten a bit happier for you by now.

I believe you may want to reduce the size of the pot by half. That is about twice as much soil as the plant needs. Adenium only need soil under the roots, not around the plant. There should be no more than an inch between the plant and the edge of the pot. I would also switch to a clay pot (rather than plastic) because they dry out more quickly if the plant is overwatered. Plastic retains moisture whereas terra cotta/clay will wick it away. An azalea pot (the term for a shorter version of a clay pot) would be perfect.

Nice, beautiful plant. Would love to see a new photo!

Carol

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol

I thought the Adenium might have died for a very long time as it was leafless for over 1 month. About 3 weeks ago it started rapidly growing leaves and now it looks very healthy, the caudex has inflated with water fully again, and the plant looks very happy. It had spider mites too but I sprayed it with insecticide and they disappeared. The plant loves its current conditions and doesn't seem to mind the pot at all. In fact, it's got roots on the other end of the pot now too. I water it at least every week now but I do let the soil stay dry for at least 2-3 days before I water again. It loves water. It finally dropped it's last flower about 2 weeks ago, I was shocked it never dropped the flower buds, after shipping across the country via economy shipping it still managed to open all of its buds and survive and even flourish now. I will post pics today hopefully. Unfortunately my african gardenia is experiencing bud blast, where there are tons of buds but they won't open up. Yesterday I finally decided to repot it into a larger pot and added some extra fertilizer because I read somewhere that bud blast can be cause by lack of fertilizer. I realized Logee's did not give this plant the proper soil, it looks like miracle gro, so I gave it much better homemade mix. I just bought a bonsai off ebay, it's a fukien tea, actually it's set to arrive at my house in less tan 2 hours. I am in the final process of paying for a Hoya plant that is currently flowering. It will either arrive last minute this week or more likely early next week.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Fukien Tea is STUNNING. I love it. I paid 42$ w/free ship for a tree easily worth 200$. It came full of flowers and some buds too. Moss is growing on the soil and trunk, nice fat trunk, nice aerial roots, but the canopy on this tree and the small leaf size really does the trick. Nice lush canopy with a christmas tree styled layering with the tippy top being pointy and the lower you go the farther spread out. nice curvature of the trunk, nice natural trunk 'knot' near the base. And do I see an Epiphyte growing on the trunk?! NO, I see TWO Epiphyte's of some kind! They are tiiiiny, but it's cool!

Pictures
    Coming soon to a store near you!

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun. ha ha. I cannot wait to see photos of your new purchases.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Hoya is shipped and expected to arrive Saturday. I will try and take some pictures tonight. Stay tuned.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pictures are downloading as we speak. Unfortunately I seem to have encountered a problem with an outdoor, mature azalea tree on the porch. It's been living here in this exact spot win the exact pot for over a decade but now It appears something is clogging the drainage holes on the bottom and the pot is flooded with water, not waterlogged, worse, as in the tree has been sitting in water for days. it seems that is has been this way for at least a few days as the water smells stagnant. The tree has a small bit of brown leaves but it actually looks relatively okay, when considering how bad of circumstances this is... at this point it is still in water as the pot weighs at least 100lbs, solid glazed ceramic. I tried getting a long thin pole and poking down to the bottom of the pot, attempting to make a path for water to flow out of the pot, but about 3-4 inches from the bottom I encountered something rock hard that I could not penetrate. I also found when poking around with the pole that the pot may be rootbound, as I felt so many roots digging down. I am going to go try again and see if I can lift the pot.

I just finished lifting the pot and got some of the water out, though it is still waterlogged soil, and upon tilting the pot over to the side a bit I found a thick bundle of roots blocking the water exit hole and they had gone all the way out of the bottom of the pot and wrapped around the area between the pavement and pot. this is going to be one helluva hacking job for me... I actually don't know how I am going to fix the situation on such a large scale. I can't get a bigger pot, these are about as big as they come and even if there is something bigger a quality one would cost hundreds, How would I do a large scale root trim on a 6 foot tall tree? It's such a big plant, I would need a forklift to get it out of that pot and putting it back in would be a disaster. Any tips?

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #1

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And #2!

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#3 pics

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#4 pic

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#5 pic. see that tiny lil thing growing on the trunk their?