Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Desert rose in bloom.

Marie Tran
10 years ago

I was gone for vacation for 2 weeks and just came home last night.
Most of the pots had many dead blooms still on them, they looked terrible until I pick up all the dead ones. We had rain 2 days during the time, but no water for remaining days. (no one to take pictures during my vacation time)
Many mid size pots already drop most, if not all of it's blooms. These left over. I water them today, clean them up and take pictures for Garden Web friends.

{{gwi:347298}}

{{gwi:347299}}

{{gwi:347300}}

{{gwi:347301}}

{{gwi:347302}}

{{gwi:347303}}

{{gwi:347305}}

{{gwi:347307}}

{{gwi:347309}}

{{gwi:347310}}

{{gwi:347311}}

{{gwi:347312}}

{{gwi:347313}}

{{gwi:347314}}

{{gwi:347315}}

{{gwi:347316}}

{{gwi:347317}}

{{gwi:347321}}

{{gwi:347323}}

{{gwi:347324}}

{{gwi:347326}}
These 5 pots are from my grafts last year. Doing well.

{{gwi:347328}}

{{gwi:347331}}

{{gwi:347333}}

{{gwi:347335}}

{{gwi:347337}}

{{gwi:347338}}

{{gwi:347339}}
This is arabicum caudex with 5 scions from obesum.

{{gwi:347340}}

{{gwi:347341}}

{{gwi:347342}}

{{gwi:347343}}

{{gwi:347344}}

This post was edited by ltran54 on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 11:23

Comments (40)

• averil
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Aw Marie absolutely beautiful as always. I hope one day to get a flower on my seedlings thanks for sharing your lovely pics
    Averil Uk

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Adeniums! Such a wonderful collection. I love your big one, too bad about the branches but it still looks shaped attractively. I was just wondering recently about grafting Obesum on Arabicum, I guess I know now it can be done well. Thanks for sharing!

-Heather

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Marie, they all look great! The White Angel looks pretty amazing with lots of blooms. Now I'm jealous of all your collection! Congratulations and hope you had a very wonderful vacation.

Kirk

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I might add that I'm in love with what I think is your Black Fire that you have pictured just above the White Angel picture.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Oh wow Marie, your plants are really stunning. You really have an eye for pruning and do such a great job.

For some reason I am more attracted to the single petaled flowers. Thank you for sharing you photos. BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for nice comments. Ladylotus, I do like single flowers, because it lasts so much longer than the ones with double and triple.

My purple rain, purple rose, sab jaren yellow, tee tar, and double santa already drop most of its blooms. Also they don't keep their color very well.

I had these big pots so long ago, back then, no double and triple....double and triple were added into my collection only in the last few years.
    Marie

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Oh wow! What amazing plants and flowers you have! I love all the varieties you have there

Mark

• tedb4
    10 years ago

I'm sure this was a lovely treat to get back to- you have gorgeous plants!!!

• egyronin
    10 years ago

Marie..what a beautiful collection! thankx for sharing that with all of us.probably took years to get them looking where thy at now.i hope my little DR does well.i just got it.
    got a question..i notice that most you guys here cover the plant soil with these big gravel or rocks BTW love the lava rocks you got Marie.is there any reason you guys do that?
    new to this trying to learn from the best,there is no short of them here.love all your DR plants here
    Ahmed

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all.
    Ahmed, the rocks only for decoration. So when I use hose to water, the soil stays in place.
    I took out all the rocks before moving them inside the garage, so they don't be so heavy.

Marie

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't see any more pictures, do you all still see them?
    I didn't move them from photobucket, but they are not there in this thread anymore.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I don't see them any more, either. But if you click on the image box it will take you directly to your photobucket and can view them all from there.

Kirk

• egyronin
    10 years ago

Marie i don's see the pics. anymore but it works when you click it.
    so you use the rocks for decoration and in keeping the soil ha?i though that is how you develop the complex root system you have on your amazing DR.
    great pics and thankx for answering.you guys ROCK
    Ahmed

• tedb4
    10 years ago

Marie-

Just out of curiosity, how old are most of these? I know I have a long way to go....

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ted, 12 of my biggest ones are about 10-15 years old. I got my first one in 1998 from my brother-in-law, and a few added into our backyard each year. In the summer of 2010, my first order for double and triple in ThaiLand. My few friends and I ordered 50 plants from Thailand that cost us over $1500 ($600 for shipping alone). Average out $42 each with caudex only 1 inch wide.

It was so expensive back then, because the double and triple was not popular in US yet. I got myself 9 plants in that order and only 4 still with me today. They are still so small after 4th summer now.

The price had drop big time because more and more seller now in US.
    Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:56

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Marie You have such beautiful plants. You have inspired me with both Adenium and COT. May I ask what is the name of the plant in the first photo? Thank you Paula

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Paula, the first pot is named Xmas santa. It is single and the blooms last pretty long. I also have double Xmas santa, but it doesn't do well, since all the buds are too heavy.
    I paid only $10 for that pot in the summer 2011
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Marie!!

I'm sure they are beautiful, but I still can't see them... Can anyone else see them? When I click on the photo, it takes me to photobucket but takes forever to load... It actually won't even load for me. Maybe it is a PB issue? It has happened before.

Love to see them, Marie... You always have great blooms!!!

Take care,

Laura

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

FYI Laura, they open up for me just fine on PB when I click on then now, at least the few I just tried. They are gorgeous, hopefully you get to see them soon.

-Heather

• tedb4
    10 years ago

Thanks Marie -

Most of my plants are only a couple of years old, so it takes a long time for them to grow that much... I have thought of buying some larger plants with just pinks and grafting on them, but keep looking for plants with distinctive shapes...

It does seem that prices and postage have gone down a lot...

Best,
    Ted

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ted, you live in zone 11b, the best weather for adenium in the US. Don't buy big ones, care for the small ones and let them grow for fun. With that weather they have plenty of time to grow.
    I had these when they only inches tall.
    Marie

• blutayle
    10 years ago

Hi Marie,
    Beautiful collection....would almost make me afraid to leave for vacation and trust anyone else...lol. I just started collecting a few and live in the Tampa area. Especially during the wet summer rainy season, what type of potting mix do you use? Some also say to plant in a shallow bonsai type pot...do you agree? Thanks, Joe.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Joe, and thank you.
    I used miracle gro potting mix add perlite. I like shallow pots but they are harder to find and more expensive.
    I used deep pots, but 1/2 bottom is not soil, I break foam in pieces and keep them on the bottom for drainage.
    Marie

• CoyoteMoss
    10 years ago

Speechless - absolutely amazing. Mine bloom one or two at a time. World class collection, just beautiful. You have adenium secrets Marie. Thanks for posting this, I love it!

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

What a treat to see your beautiful plants. Of course it's the flowers that first caught my eye. But then I began to notice the interesting caudices - wow!

I dipped my toe in the water earlier this year and bought my first desert rose. It's a small one with red flowers. Since it seems to be doing just fine under my care, I'm ready to buy another.

Thank you for sharing, June

• tminh20
    10 years ago

Wow Itran54, those are beautiful flowers. I love those pots too, but unable to find such beautiful ones. The one that i did find does not have drainage holes. Do your pots have holes for drainage?
    Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Coyotemoss, Juneroses, and Tminh.
    Tminh, yes all my pots have drainage holes, each pot I buy, husband drills 3 or more holes before I use for any of my desert rose. Granite drill bits cost more, but adenium needs fast drainage. When pots are selling at 50 and 75% off, I run. Many pots I paid full price too.
    I still have many in the shed waiting for my desert rose to get bigger.

Marie

• tminh20
    10 years ago

Thank you Marie for the information. Now I can have my husband drills holes for the pots that I am going to buy. I have 3 big plants, 3 small ones, looking to buy some seeds to grow. Love those desert roses. It's going to take years to have a collection like yours.
    Thank you.
    Cathy

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

OMG I am so jealous they are the most beautiful adeniums I have every seen. I was going to say how lucky you are to have them but what hard work and creative adenium knowledge you must have. You inspire me and will try to keep this thread as a reference for myself in the future.
    Thank You
    Maria

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Maria, this is not my best year, because I was on vacation while they in full bloom.
    So the pictures weren't the best. 2009 and 2010 were my best years.
    These mostly single, my double and triple bloom at different time, so I post them separately
    Marie

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Marie,

I love the brick platform inside the fence. They make a great place to comfortably set and show off your adenium. Did you build it yourself, brick by brick? They look like they are just set and not actually mortared, is that correct? They are so nice and even and level - I would love to know how you did that. Great job!

Carol

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, no, I didn't built that brick fence. I live on the main road and that is the community fence. To block the noise from the street. I will never have to fix any fence because I am at the corner and also my side fence is belonging to community.

Marie

• Sandylg
    10 years ago

Maria,
    Your plants are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I got my first desert rose about 2 weeks ago. It seems to be doing fine but the blooms are fading and falling of after awhile. I have several buds that have come on within the 2 weeks that I've had it. But am I being over concerned of the blooms falling off? Is that normal? I water when the soil is dry. Too little water?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy, many reasons for the buds to fall off. Many of us still trying to fixgure it out....
    I water them every other day until November, slow down when the cold weather comes.

The bigger the plant the better for it to hold all the buds upward. (no drooping)

I hope your plant do well for you.
    Marie

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hi Marie,

I'm asking about the two-layer brick platform on which your adenium pots are set. In some photos there are red/brown bricks, in other photos the platform is made of tan bricks. Are the bricks part of the community fence, too? Or did you put them there for your pots? If you put them there, how did you lay them so nice and level? I don't see any mortar. They appear to be just stacked.

Thanks again!
    Carol

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, I am sorry for answer wrong question. Those bricks were left over 12 years ago from the builder when we build this house. I didn't have anything else to do, so I use them for my plants. I just lay them on top of each other. I level with sandbank underneat of those bricks. That was my idea, nothing special.
    Marie

• tolip
    10 years ago

Wow nice blooms.

• sj681
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants I am now learning about dr I have my plant just over two months I saw in one of the photos that one or your plants has two different color flowers How come did you but it like that

• Horrie (Vanuatu_11b)
    7 years ago

Went back in time to fish out this old post by Marie, I had to admit I am very Jealous to how much bloom you had to experience every year. :)