Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwijoe21

almost ready to graft some babies

kiwijoe21
9 years ago

In a few weeks many of these will be used for my grafting. There is one color that I'm running out of ...will show a picture tomorrow of color.

Comments (21)

• koi3300
    9 years ago

Hi, Kiwijoe21, just curious how old are your rootstock? what is the matured period to do grafting on the rootstocks? After 12 months? Thanks for the reply.

• averil
    9 years ago

Wow Joe, that is some adenium farm you have there. How many plants do you have? That's if you have ever counted them lol
    Kind regards
    Averil UK

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Wow! Nice! Wish I had that much rootstock. Good luck and please show us some photos when done.

Kirk

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Koi ...these babies are a little over a year. With these I have taken my sweet time to grow because of other obligations with other plants. But I haven't found any time restrictions of grafting. I have flat grafted on plants that have been five months old. But I usually wait for 10 to 12 months.

Averil ...I think there is close to 800 plants. But I still have many more like these going.

• chuy415
    9 years ago

wow!!!! that's awesome :)

Chuy

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Like living in adenium heaven.

Sharon

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

ha ha ha Sharon I agree.

KiwiJoe, what a wonderful job to have working with all those plants. Good luck with your grafting.

• averil
    9 years ago

Ha ha takes me all my time to look after 18!

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the color I need more of. I am now down to this last one ...and it comes from my own collection. So I guess when the grafts are done ...I will pick up two more of these ...you know to replace the one I'm giving up haha.

• jasonwipf
    9 years ago

That flower is awesome joe. I noticed your leaves on that plant are bending upward. I have a few seedlings I just repotted that are doing the same. Leaves used to be horizontal and now have moved upwards like yours, what is that?

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Jason ...I think this one is some sort of crispum variety ...the leaves are thin and long. But someone here might verify the type. Considering that it's the last one I own ...I figured that I need to make more.

I also noticed that the young ones in the picture in my first post here are not thick enough to hold the union together. So I have chosen 30 good ones for the cause. Here's to good grafting.

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the chosen 30 which are big enough to hold my graft.

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm always impressed on the big difference they look like once joined together. I'm the beginning I never wanted to cut the young ones to make more of a certain color ...now it just doesn't phase me. Let the hacking begin.

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Oh wow you very busy!! Those should be some great plants! Do you save the tops of the seedlings when you cut them?

Do you have any arabicums?

Mark

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I do Mark. I believe I have six growing in my collection.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Joe, do you want me to come and do some graft for you?
    You can pay my labor with 1/3 of your collection.....( am I asking too much? ).....well.....1/4 is okay too......hehehe..

I can work free labor......if you want....

Marie

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marie ...your negotiations are a riot. Considering you know how to ....you would probably be teaching me something new.

Not that many people here (where I'm at) know how to graft adenium. I know of 5 people that do it ...and I'm pretty sure that there isn't anymore than 10 people.

When I first started (attempt it I should say) I failed. I tried 100 grafts first of the single red ...all I managed to do was destroy the mother plant and nearly killed all the 100. Five managed to merge ...but they weren't the best of unions. One side of the v graft merged to the stock while the other side of the v was splitting apart. So I had complete crop failure.

On my road to victory I had several bumps. Crops of one hundred every single time ...percentages that weren't helping ...crop failures time after time. Every run was getting better and better ...but my best was only 35% union. It was until my sixth batch of 100 that I broke through with the help of my wife. I succeeded with 75% union. Today I'm much better 95% rate with smaller batches of around 50 at a time.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Joe.....I did okay first time (5 out of 7 took) Last year I did 31 and 29 took. I did some recently, I will update my result soon.

This time I don't use tape anymore, I used plastic strips.
    It is harder to deal with tape when ready to untape it.

Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Wow! That's a whole lot of grafting fun! Good luck and can't wait to see the end results.

Kirk

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mark, I do save the tops. I dip them in hormone powder after a few days and then plants them. I don't like that they will never get the caudex but people still like them because they bloom.

Oh and a close up from my grafts ...looking good.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Are ya'll using grafting tape or some other type of plastic?

Lonnie

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling