Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growing_or_dying

Clarification on Gritty Mix and Adeniums

Growing-or-Dying
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am planning to begin gathering the ingredients to re-pot my Adenium in the gritty mix so many people are raving about. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right!

I live in FL, zone 9b.
What I have gathered is that I should use a 1:1:1 ratio of turface, ground granite, and pine bark/fir bark (is there a difference? I've seen it called both.)

I have also seen talk about straining it so that the pieces of everything are all similar in size.
This is what I am pretty sure about.
Here are my questions:
I've seen that some people add other things such as lime. Do I need to include anything else? And should I be doing the 1:1:1 or should I actually be doing 5:1:1? Is there anything else I need to know?

I have been into (container) gardening for a few years now, but since I've stumbled onto Garden Web, I've realize the plethora of information out there that I am clueless about.

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse with this talk about the gritty mix, but my Adenium already doesn't look very good, so I want to make sure I do this right!
Any information about how to do this would be very much appreciated! After reading through this forum and seeing how helpful everyone is and how beautiful all of your plants are, I figured it'd be in my Adenium's best interest to post. I aspire to have as lovely plants as I've seen on here!
(Also, if you know the area, where can I get these things?-- I've seen suggestions like Petsmart for the pine/fir bark, which shouldn't be an issue, and John Deere for the turface, but I haven't given them a call yet).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022