Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koi3300

Newly grafted arabicum DR

koi3300
9 years ago

These were the two arabicum dr plants grafted yesterday. Each plant was grafted with a combination of double petals yellow, double petals red and three petals red. I am vey excited to see them grow, hope they all turn out well. The mother plant flower is of normal colour ie. red rim with white throad.

Comments (15)

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are some DR plants newly planted in a bonsai pot. Hope they can settled down comfortably. I do envy you pros out there with your fantastic displays and gorgeous blooms., many thanks to all for giving me this idea, especially to Marie.

• Adeniumlover
    9 years ago

they look fantastic!! good luck with them and don't forget to post pictures when they flowers. Marie is the best. she should turn her hobby into business....

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Great pots! And great wall for a background! Of course the adeniums look spectacular, too.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Koi and Adeniumlover, thank you for the compliments.
    I have been a desert rose lover for about 14 years, therefore, I have more plants....I am sure 10 years from now, most members on this forum will be just like me or have more plants than me.

Koi, I grafted 5 scions of obesum plant on to arabicum plant 2 years ago. All took on that plant and have been doing well. Bloomed very good last year, but one scion died in the winter. However, the branches are short, they can't seem to grow very much. Do want to see pictures of that arabicum?

Marie

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Adeniumlover, Kirk and Marie for your compliments. Marie, it would be a great pleasure to see your arabicum speciments and thank you.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Great looking plants and love the pots.
    Lonnie

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Koi, I grafted with Double Pink and Triple Splash, but 2 scions died. Note 2 different kinds of leaves. The arabicum leaves now coming out from 2 dead scions. (total 3 different kinds of leaves)

{{gwi:347833}}

{{gwi:347834}}

{{gwi:347835}}

These were from last year.
    {{gwi:347836}}

{{gwi:347837}}

These 5 pots bloomed after grafted.
    The 2 on the left were from cuttings.

{{gwi:347838}}

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Marie, I am very impressed with your arabicum plants, they look so beautiful, great caudex formations, gorgeous blooms and blend beautifully with the china pots, very contrasting. Thanks alot for sharing.

I also abserved your grafting were by flat joints, I have tried a few times it does not turned out well. I am more confident with the "V" joint graftings.

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marie, this is another arabicum dr in my collection which was grafted six months ago with the "V" grafting method. Nevertheless, I am happy with the outcome. It gives me great satisfaction to see it blooms.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Koi, that was great work. You did good. I love that color of the blooms.

I once read on the net, that arabicum will not take scions of any kinds. But it wasn't the case here. I like flat graft method better. Use less scions, easier, faster and the scar heals better. (less noteable)

Marie

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marie, thanks for the compliments. Yes, I fully agree with you on the points and advantages of flat grafting. I will keep on trying with the flat grafting till I get it right. Thanks again for the flat grafting info.

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grafted two arabicum plants two weeks ago with triple petals red and santa claus and I am glad the leaves are coming out. I've grafted five joints, three by "V" joint and two by "flat" joints. The other three joints still covered with plastic seems to be slightly slow in growth. Normally I will only open up the plastic wrap once I see sign of growth.

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the other arabicum plant grafted at the same time as the above.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

That was great job.....

Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 12:49

• koi3300
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the compliments Marie, you gave me quite abit of inspiration on your points of "flat joints" I certainly look forward to cultivate this technic. I hope with trial and error I should make it one day,

Koi

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!