Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

A. somalense ?

karyn1
11 years ago

I had company the other day and one of the people was very familiar with adeniums. He thinks my "different" seedling is an A. somalense and after looking at pics online I think he is correct. If it would bloom I guess I would know for sure.

{{gwi:347936}}

{{gwi:347937}}

Comments (12)

• GreenThumb90
    11 years ago

It is correct, Somalense are longer in stem length.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's interesting that I'd previously posted pics of this plant saying that I didn't think it was an obesum and was told that it was. I know that obesum foliage is variable but this was just too different. I'm glad that I finally have the ID.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn, have also read they have a conical stem, yours seems to have this feature too. Mine are still small so have no distinguishing bits as yet....but at least they're still alive!
    Gill from the UK.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Karyn, I have an A. somalense that I got from Miles and the leaves are not nearly as green as yours nor are they marked as distinctly as yours. I believe from my reading yours may be Adenium somalense v crispum while is probably the more common Adenium somalense v somalense I like yours very much.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Howard and thanks for the name of the nursery, I think. I'm afraid to take a look. lol

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just noticed that the new foliage has the ruffled edges. I wonder why it's taken this long for the ruffled leaves to develop and if they'll continue to grow in that way?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Karyn, when you have time from all your other activities and the new growth gets a bit larger, how about another picture.... I love pictures!!!!!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Well I am soooo cross! I went in to the g/h as is my usual daily routine to check on my DR's and all seemed OK till I glanced across to the 3 somlense babies and noticed there were only TWO. Some pesky munching critter has chomped one clean off about a 1/4 inch from soil level. No sign of the missing stem/leaves anywhere. It was only the thickness of a pencil and around 3inches high as they are proving to be slow growing for me. I hope whatever it was that decided to eat my treasured plant has raging gut-rot for the rest of the week, and longer...or a fate far worse than that. :(

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that Gill. I've never heard of an animal eating a DR stem. The tussock cats did nibble a bit of the foliage but have moved on. Do you think it might have been a slug or a snail?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Me too, Gill. After all your hard work and disaster.... Well, you'd better put little H away somewhere safe!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm sure it must have been a slug or snail, but there wasn't a slime trail in sight which puzzled me. We have had the worst 'summer' for decades and are inundated with the slimy molluscs, they are everywhere. Snails with shells almost 1.5 inches in diameter cluster together in clumps the size of your fist, and we have slugs the size of sausages!! yuk!
    Don't worry Howard, he is safe!! ;)
    Gill from the UK.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Gill,
    You made me laugh ,
    Sorry about your baby seedling. I know what it is to keep a watchful eye on your plants. Everyday I go out to see if they are still there. I have rabbits in my yard, and they must not like the desert rose ,they are still there. Watch, in the morning they will all be nibbled away.
    Sharon