Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do?

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 8:19

So I have this Adenium 'Blackberry' hybrid that I think is finally rooted. I haven't gotten any new growth on the top, yet. As you can see from the photo, it is very tall and leggy and I don't like it this way; I want a branching head. What is everyone's opinion about whacking it about 2/3 of the way down the plant trunk with the hope it will branch and grow a nice head?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do?

Hi Howard. If you are sure that it has developed a good root system I'd go ahead and cut it back. You'll likely never get much of a caudex as cuttings don't develop enlarged caudexes but it should branch. You could also graft it onto a seed grown plant if you want an enlarged caudex as well as branching.

o

Hi Bikerdoc,

Im with Karen..if you know you have a good root system, then i would cut. I would even go more than 2/3's but that is just me. I would seal the cut after an hour and then let it rest foor a few days then bring it back into full sunshine. I think it could be a pretty looking tree.

Good luck!!

Laura

o

Hello Howard, hope you are well!
Wow, that sure is a long lean specimen you have there isn't it? I would also risk a drastic chop if it were mine as I personally don't like it's appearance either and if left to it's own devices, it stands little chance of improving....go for it!!! Let us know what you decide to do?
Regards, Gill from the UK.

o

bikerdoc....

Search this forum for Braiding/Pleaching/Twisting Adenium and take a look at what can be done with plants like yours.

Just another alternative besides a stem-chop.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here