Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jv44

Early branching seedling

jv44
10 years ago

This is an obesum seedling of a flower called "Sawadee" sown May 13 that I tried an experiment with (along with another obesum seedling also sown May 13 that did not respond similarly) where I carefully cut out the main growing point about two weeks ago with an Exacto knife to try to force early branching. You can see the main growing point has returned....and two branches have begun growing at the leaf/stem juncture below. By the way....this is the seedling I've previously shown that I refer to as "long leaved seedling" because its leaves are much longer than any other of the 130+ seedlings I have.

I've since repeated the growing point removal from 5 other seedlings (3 or 4 days ago), three more obesum seedlings from the May 13 sowing and two S1/Golden Bell Thai socos sown May 28. The first to show new growth is one of the S1's--it appears to have 4 new shoots coming from the 4 leaf/stem junctures and no new main growing point--so far.

If the success rate gets better with the other 4, I plan on doing this with more of my 130+ seedlings.

Mike in MN

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions