Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Adenium Ko seeds

For anyone interested in seeds. I was sent a note that Mr. Ko is having a sale on some of his seeds. He has established great respect with his breeding of select seed.
I understand they are only sold as (15seeds) & (150seeds)
Will try to post thread

http:// www.adenium.comtw/2013price%20list.htm

Comments (13)

• tedb4
    10 years ago

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work..

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Made an error Ted.

http://www.adenium.com.tw/2013price%20list.htm

Rick
    Maybe able to get some true Socotranums, not through Ko.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do not know why, but the 'percent' symbol and the number '20' are to be in
    between the 'price.....list'
    Not sure why they do not show for those interested.
    Rick

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

Did anyone else notice the "tiny ding dong" variety? Lol.

What does everyone even do with all the leftover seedlings? Do you really keep all 15?

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Where did you find the true soco's?
    Mike

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I may get some. I am not sure yet, but I may have a few extra's.
    Rick

• jv44
    10 years ago

Neon, first of all you're assuming all 15 will germinate....and then that all 15 will survive--which is rarely the norm, even with seeds from Mr. Ko. Normal germination rate is usually between 75 or 80% to 90%. And then not all of them necessarily survive to get to blooming size. And then when they reach blooming size is when you get to see the flowers--which almost never look like the picture shown. They might have certain similarities, and you may even have a few that look pretty close to the photo of flower that produced the seed. The picture you see is the mother plant (which produced the seed pod) and you have to take into consideration the pollen parent. And even if you have the pollen parent being the exact same flower as the pod parent....the resulting seedlings' flowers have a certain CHANCE of having similarities to one or the other or both parents. It's actually similar to human beings and their offspring. And, you almost always wind up with a few normal pink flowers no matter what--even with Ko seed. But, you see--that is the mystery and fun of growing obesums from seed--you never know what you're going to get. So, yeah, you generally keep all seedlings you get, especially from Ko seed, until they bloom and you see exactly what you have.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

FYI rcharles, the percent 20 is HTML code for a space. When you pasted the link the forum just converted it to a space. If you copy the link exactly as you have it in your "made an error" post and paste it into your browser it works fine :) The original link didn't work because there was an erroneous space in between the // and www. :) Thanks for the sale info!

-Heather

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

JV44 thanks for the response. I just germinated some seeds from KO. I had 100% germination rate, but 2 will most likely die off as they didn't sprout any leaves. 13/15 was a good success rate though so I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them all. I need more pots now lol.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

I feel very lucky. I sowed 19 Mr. Ko seeds (thanks to elucas and her contest) and every one germinated and they are all still doing great 2 months later.

-Heather

• tedb4
    10 years ago

Hi Rick - I tried to PM you, but it won't go through, but I wanted to ask you about the soco seeds....

Thanks,

Ted

• jv44
    10 years ago

Neon--I've gotten 100% with a couple of batches of arabicum seeds from Thailand but arabicum seeds are big--and easy to germinate from what I've been told. If you got 100% from Ko seeds that's excellent--I've got 4 packets of Ko seed coming that should arrive tomorrow or Thurs. so I'll see how they do. The first two packets I got from him (about 2 weeks ago) didn't do so well (7 of 15 and 10 of 15) but this was NOT the fault of the seeds--I tried a different brand of coir that had added ingredients....in other words it wasn't 100% pure coir and nothing else.....and over night after sowing the seeds I had white fuzzy mold growing all over the surface of the coir in random patches (not corresponding to where the seeds actually were--that's how I knew it wasn't the seeds that did it)....so I yanked all the seeds, soaked them in water to clean them off as best I could, and re-sowed them in new coir called CocoGro. The mold killed off some of the seeds, however.....needless to say, I tossed the rest of that foul coir (it also had a funky smell when it was wet that I've never had with any other coir I've used) straight into the trash.

You'll want to keep all those seedlings, at least until they bloom and you see what you've got. I read a post recently on the Yahoo adenium forum I belong to....a guy sowed a batch of Ko seeds that were supposed to all be single layer petal flowers and he got one seedling with a gorgeous double flower that was totally unexpected!

Mike in MN

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ted,
    Try another PM, as I am trying to make it allow. Thought I had done so, but I think it will work now.
    Rick

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES