Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adenium1949

Ko33 seedling

adenium1949
10 years ago

Hello all,
Just posting a few pics of a seedling grown from Ko33 seed sown 8 months ago. This plant measures 11 inches from the top of the pot. This is its first attempt at flowering and although not open yet I wanted to show the number of buds being produced. The buds at the top are most advanced but even very tiny shoots at the base are carrying clusters of buds as are all the side shoots. I counted the buds this morning and today's total is 63. The largest buds are starting to colour up and when they open I will post again to show how closely (or otherwise) they match the promo pic.
Happy growing.
Brian UK.

Comments (17)

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More,

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one.

• tedb4
    10 years ago

That's amazing Brian... I think I have some seedlings of the same variety but much smaller... Hopefully mine will turn out to be as floriferous !

Thanks,

Ted

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ted,
    This must be what Mr. Ko calls "super floweriness"

Brian UK.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Brian, wow, that is plenty of buds....for a small plant.
    I love those kind that gives you heavy bloom during blooming season.
    Marie

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie,
    So do I, hopefully it will live up to its early promise. Lots more seedlings in bud.
    Brian UK.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow!! That is cool! That is a keeper for sure!

Mark

• averil
    10 years ago

I can't get one bud! Lol. Amazing. Keep the pics coming Brian
    Kind regards
    Averil UK

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark and Averil,
    This seedling has been a big surprise, I think the signs are that it will have more than one layer of petal. You have to grow a lot to end up with a few worth keeping, but thats the fun isn't it, you never know what you will get.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.

• rosadedesierto
    10 years ago

Hello Brian,
    Wonderful pictures and an inspiration to us ( well to me at least)!!! I bought some seedlings about 4 inches tall, and I have had them for about 2 years, and have not seen a single bloom on them. How do you manage to make them bloom. What kind of fertilizer are you using? I live in Madrid, so the winters are cold, but as of may, my plants are in full 34 C degree sun until mid october, then they are stored in a greenhouse that I cultivate orchids, so they get artificial light and heat.
    I would appreciate any help with my babies!
    thank you

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Rosa,
    When I started growing adeniums I waited for years to get blooms (six years was the maximum) but I have found that the plants blooming last often produce the best caudex. Blooms tend to get most attention but caudex development is what makes them different. My seedlings coming into bloom at the moment have so far produced little or no caudex development. Can you post a photo of your plants?
    A picture tells us so much more. Your growing conditions sound ideal so you should be getting good growth. I think that blooming and caudex development are mostly down to genetics but nutrients play a part. The fertiliser I use most is half strength cactus, with occasional high nitrogen if I think they need it. What growing medium are you using and how likely is it to hold onto nutrients? I think it is good advice to start with weak solutions and watch the response.
    By the way, how much do you know about the origins of the plants you bought and what varieties/species they may be? I have probably raised more questions than answers !
    I don't think I have read any posts from others in Spain which is a surprise given the sunny weather and warmth.
    Best of luck with your plants.
    Brian UK.

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    Here is a pic of one of the open blooms. Is it a keeper or is it compost ? The jury is still out on that one.

Brian UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Brian, I would say that it is worth keeping for a judgement when it is no longer considered a juvenille. Who knows, maybe it will develop with maturity.
    That seems to be the way it works here.
    Very nice and good growing,
    Rick

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Brian,
    That flower is pretty. My plants here in Ohio only have a few good sunny months to grow outside. Very few blossoms on my plants, I am still waiting for something to flower before the snow comes. The weather has been almost like fall for the last month, way too early. Should be hot like Florida. Keep showing the blossoms, I will dream.
    Sharon

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon and Rick,
    I wish it had a little more colour but as you say it is still very young, maybe a bit of maturity will improve it. It is my first double from seed. I am surprised at the amount of yellow showing and it seems to be increasing. If the blooms improve i will post.
    Happy growing.
    Brian UK.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Brian,

I think your seedling definitely has potential. I cannot wait to see pictures of its blooms in the near future.