Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodom087

Seedling group shot

kodom087 z9a
9 years ago

Here is a group shot of all my seedlings that vary from 1-2 years old. Obesums, arabicums, and a couple of cuttings I rooted from my sister's plant that I suspect being of adenium solammence cross.

{{gwi:348250}}

One of the rooted cuttings. Looks like it's starting to show signs of a fattening base. Cant wait to see it after a few more years to see how fat it will get although I'm sure I'll end up grafting it onto some other rootstock.

{{gwi:348251}}

{{gwi:348252}}

The parent plant.
{{gwi:344579}}

Kirk

Comments (10)

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Kirk,

Would you be kind enough to explain how you rooted your cuttings? Did you place them under a tent or place in an enclosed container? What about watering?

I would really appreciate the information.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I had first cut them I dipped them in rooting powder and let sit a day or two. Then I potted them up, watered once and let sit in the shade. I did keep an eye on the soil as to not let it dry out too much so I'd lightly mist them from time to time. If soil looked too dry I did water.

I recently did the exact same thing on some cuttings of my Black Purple and out of about 8 cuttings 5 have rooted. They will be destined for grafting in the future.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your technique. I will give it a try the next time I hard prune one of my adeniums. With this summer being so cool I'm not sure I will have the opportunity this year. Yikes! My plants are now JUST starting to leaf out. I've never seen such a cold summer.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any time! I agree about the cooler summer. Normally by now Houston would be having several triple digit days.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Ladylotus, I am not good with cutting either. I kill all of them.
    This year I cut about 30 cuttings, and only 1 rooted.

I will try Kirk idea next time.

Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomorrow I'll have to take a picture of the cuttings I just rooted of the Black Purple.

Kirk

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised here is a shot of the 5 cuttings recently rooted of my Black Purple.

{{gwi:348253}}

Kirk

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Great looking seedlings Kirk!

Those cuttings look good.

Mark

• ixorapink
    9 years ago

Great looking plants Kirk, I don't have luck with rooting cutting, but will try your method. Thanks

Jan

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hey Kirk, nice kids you got there.

I had to round up mine for this group shot because they are all over. Last April I planted about 3 of the runts in the ground, just to see what they will do. But they have been covered entirely by weeds, I'll have to look for them this weekend lol

These are 1 to 1.5 years old. They are all short because I whack their heads off when they get uppity. This is a mixture of obesum and arabicum--it just takes a closer look to tell the difference because some idiot (me) forgot to label them when they were repotted.
    {{gwi:348254}}

Pagan

p.s. photo includes a Murraya paniculata in the background as well as two pots of those temple things.

This post was edited by fakechuchi on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 21:34

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA