Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

mgonline...any problems with this company?

I just bought a Adenium from this company. It was a supposed to be a named, grafted variety called "BLACK FIRE". I received a very nice, young, healthy plant, however, I'll be damned...I see NO GRAFTED section. How is this possible? Are grafting techniques so advanced that graft unions are now invisible, or do you think I got a hybrid seedling with "BLACK FIRE" as one of the parents? In other words, a lousy, unflowered, seedling obesum? If the latter, than I just spent $41.00 on nothing! It could turn out to be a stinkin' pink!! I HATE PINK!!!!!

I am fit to be tied!

Has anyone dealt with this company before? I just contacted them ( 20 minutes ago) and demanded an explanation, and I've yet to hear from them. I hope I can stop payment if necessary.

I thought you'd like to know. I'll keep you posted.

Frank

Comments (21)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Frank, I am sure they will give you your money back.....
    and keep the plant....
    Marie

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

U P D A T E:

mgonline (Master Gardener)...

Contacted me and told me basically, that nowhere on there web-site does it mention that I would get a named, grafted plant, however, their web-site shows named plants in the hybrid section. Anyone, would think they are buying a named, grafted plant...the prices are so high, that you would believe that they were selling named plants. So it turns out that I paid $41.00 for a no-name seedling because some fancy pollen from a named plant was used in the cross. Yeah, I don't think so!

I sent a few, very pithy e-mails to mgonline, and I told them that their site was deceptive, and only an idiot would pay $41.00 for an unflowered, seedling of A. obesum, and demanded a refund for the full amount.

They said no refund without the plant...so, I had to re-pack the plant, drive to a post office, wait on line and pay $9.00 to send the plant back. I get the aggravation. I pay $9.00 just so my account could be refunded ....and I STILL have no plant!

So, last month I spent $45.00 that went to Top Trop's. for a peach/salmon Adenium,that bloomed with PINK flowers, and, not the peach/salmon, as expected ... now, today, I get a high-priced A.obesum seedling for another $41.00 + $9.00 return postage. So, I'm out $54.00, even if I get a refund and, I still have no plant!

It's steaming hot, and this was the wrong day to screw with me.

I'll let you know if I get my refund, and how this all goes down.

Caveat emptor...Let the buyer beware.

Frank

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Frank I'm so sorry to hear that and I agree that their advertising is quite deceptive. I would have just canceled the charge with my credit card company and told them if they wanted their plant back they could pay the shipping! As for Top Trop's they're notorious for doing things like that. Do you use g a r d e n w a t c h d o g? If not you should. We can no longer link the site. Just add .com and you'll be able to pull it up. I don't know that they list mgonline but you could certainly start a thread describing your experience with them.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Karyn1

Thank-you so much for this very useful information regarding these two companies. I was so damned eager to get a nice plant, that I just bit, and bought on impulse.

The idignant tone of the mgonline e-mails, sent my blood pressure into "stroke territory", and they are lucky that I couldn't find their phone number. I would have suggested in my best, very descriptive, Bronx vernacular, where they could stick their unflowered, crappy, no-name, probably pink, seedling!

So now the plant is on the way back, and I hope they refund my account. If they don't then I will contact my credit card, and open a dispute. Who needs this crap?

Thanks again for your most useful suggestions.

Now, I start shopping again.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Frank,

I would be very upset (angry) too..

Sounds like they are taking advantage of the way they describe their trees..

Buyer Beware..

Thank you for posting this.. Like Karen mentioned, i would post to Watch dog... it is good for all of us to know who to trust and who to avoid.

My blood pressure is elevated just reading this.

I hate to be taken advantage of...

Did you use Paypal? i think you said credit card? It is easy to contact the credit card company and dispute the charges...

Good Luck and keep us posted.

laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you all for your understanding.

Dealings with these kinds of companies,especially like mgonline, are something that we all need to know about.

I had to use a great deal of restraint in relating this anecdotal information to members of this forum. If it helps others avoid my mistakes, then it will have served a good purpose.

I will find a plant. Where? I do not know. I could only think of two sources: "LUCKY SUMO" and "DURHAM BOTANICALS"...but, I have never ordered for either of these companies.

Anyway the stinkin' seedling obesum was mailed back last week, and I hope my account will be credited soon...or, I stop payment. Screw them!

I will let you know how this turns out.

Frank

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Frank I'd just keep looking and talking to others until you can find a reputable source. Eventually you'll find one. I'd wanted a douple for years but held off on ordering until I spoke with Marie (1tran54) who I was sure I could trust.

Original Author
    11 years ago

So..."mgonline" was contacted yesterday, because I received no confirmation that my returned plant was delivered. Just minutes ago, through e-mail, "mgonline" told me my plant never arrived. But the Post Office told me it would be delivered by last Saturday. Just another perfect example of Government efficiency. Watch what happens to our healthcare systems!

So, now what? If the plant doesn't arrive today, should I stop payment?

What aggravation for a stinkin' plant!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Frank

Original Author
    11 years ago

U P D A T E

My account was credited in the amount of $41.00 by "mgonline". Still out $9.00 for the return postage. So for the disgusting aggravation that I experienced because I chose to buy a plant from this company, was it worth it?

They will NEVER get my business again.

Now, if you were a company that was interested in satisfying a customer, would you not have said: "We will refund the amount for the return postage since you were dissatisfied with out plant, and, because we would appreciate your future business"?

So, they did nothing for me except give me what I demanded after realizing that I got stuck with a seedling that they probably paid $1.00 wholesale.

That stinks!... but, something is better than nothing.

Just thought you'd want to know. Draw your own conclusions.

Frank

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Sorry you had to deal with that but at least it's over and you got most of what you paid out back. I would suggest that you leave feedback on the "Rate & Review Vendors" forum here, and also on g a r d e n watchdog. If you aren't already registered with them you can just sign up. You don't need to have a paid membership in order to leave feedback.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Frank, it is sad situation, as a customer, we don't mind paying for expensive item we like, but don't get what we want is another story.

Adenium friends, someone gave me a nursery in Florida, I ordered 4 plants and my girlfriend order 4 more last month. The plants came with little leaves, but only 4 weeks, they are now with full head of leaves.

www.adeniumrose.com (click on photo gallary) to get all the pictures.
    Goodluck....I am happy with my plants.
    Marie

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks friends, for sticking it out with me, and following this story.

Thanks for the useful suggestions, and for the links to these web-sites to report experiences.

I am going to try to order a new plant from Durham Botanicals, and I am optimistic that this will eventually have a happy ending.

Frank

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Frank do you know anyone that has ordered from Durham Botanicals? I see that they have 100% positive feedback on Ebay which is a good sign.

Marie thanks for that link. I just ordered 2, a Jaren Yellow and White Nagfa Triple. Their prices are extremely reasonable.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not know anyone who might have ordered from either Durham Botanicals, or, Lucky Sumo Adenium.

I have spoken to the owner of Lucky Sumo Adenium on a few occasions, and found the gentleman to be very helpful, and friendly. I have no reservations about ordering from either company, and will take my chances with these AMERICAN growers, based in Florida.

Frank

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Karyn, I ordered the presale pack of 4 for $72 plus $12 total of $84 for 4.
    What they charge you for shipping?
    Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I believe that the shipping was the same. I think the weight was listed at 4 lb. Mike from Adenium Rose emailed me this morning to let me know the plants would be going out tomorrow. He seemed very nice. I have to ask him if they are open to the public at all. They're in Miami and I spend part of the winter in So. FL and like to check out different nurseries.

• katluvr
    11 years ago

Hi all, I am having big problems with my pc hope to get it fixed next month, so I have not been able to put on pics and it takes forever to get the forums on GW to open, so I havent been on in a while, I just thought I would try it out this afternoon. I wanted to tell Frank that I have purchased several plants from Chris at Durham Botanicals and I am well pleased with my plants in fact one of my doubles opened yesterday but I cant do pics right now :(, any ways he seemed to be a very nice person and his plants are very nice,I am well pleased with what I got. I bought a double pink, a double white and a double peppermint stripe. Hopefully I will see the rest of them bloom this year as well. Sorry to run on so I just wanted to say I have order from DB and am very happy with my plants. Ronda

Original Author
    11 years ago

katluvr/Rhoda...

Thank-you. I have contacted Chris on a few occasions, and found him to be very helpful. I would not hesitate to order any plants from Durham Botanicals, or, Lucky Sumo.

Good luck with your new plants.

Frank

• PRO
    AdeniumRose Company LLC
    10 years ago

Hi:

What company are you referring too? Not AdeniumRose company who never Black Angel ever listed. Please check your invoice and let us know.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Adeniumrose Company

• haworthia
    10 years ago

Frank,
    Sorry to hear about your plant. I can truly relate. At least you got a plant in the mail. I'm still out of over $75.00+ from Plumeria2u for purchases of David Clulows adeniums. I wasn't the only one that "Stuart" scammed as I find out later.

I had him hold my plants (big mistake in terms of Paypal) when I order in Feb until the weather permited (March/early April) to ship. He waited till the paypal requirement time had expired in late April( I wasn't aware of this rule per paypal) to so called "dispatch" my plants ( which never happened), I had passed the paypal 42 (?) days requirement for claims dispute by the time I realized he was fake and would not respond to my emails as well, so he still has my money and no plants.

I've had the biggest run around. The money came out of checking account via paypal and my bank wants paypal to pay and paypal send NO due time rule. I'm still fighting, so consider yourself lucky. He has awful reviews at gardenwatch dog and I wish I did my research before ordering. He has done this to a lot of people. I only ordered due to the Paypal Logo on his website and I'm working to change that too :).

As far as Durham Botanicals, I love them and highly recommend. I recently purchased a Yellow Multi from their facebook shop and I was VERY pleased. This is my 4th purchase without any drama. Chris shipped my order fast and I'll post picture later. Take care an take it easy. Sorry again.

• haworthia
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    Just noticed that this subject is over one year ago. My statement is of a recent experience. Frank I hope you've gotten more fabulous plants since this unfortunate incident.

This post was edited by haworthia on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 14:32

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert