Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping pests out of pots

Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 11:29

Is there a secret to not bring pests into the house in the flower containers?
I took my plants out ,but hate bugs that take up residence . Don't want them in my house come this fall. Ugh!!!!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping pests out of pots

I'm sorry, I don't know of any secret but I suppose you could possibly treat them with insecticidal soap (or if there are a lot something a tad stronger...) before bringing them in the house?

Honestly, people that grow plants indoors have problems with insects that are harder to control than outside because there are no "good" bugs to eat the "bad" bugs! Their plants may never go outside and develop mites and flies and things like that.

Which bugs specifically have you had problems with in the past?

o

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 21:53

Elucas,
Mainly millipede type, or the roly poly type. Normally I take all my plants outside for the summer.this post probably should have been in the cactus forum. I just hate "bugs" . one year ants took up residence. A lot of them. Since then, I get nervous bringing them inside .
Sharon

o

Ive started putting vaseline (petroleum jelly) round the top inch and the rims of my pots with young plants. Ants certainly dont like it, they wont walk through it, i believe it suffocates them and i cant say ive seen any other bugs in the pots. I was having a few spider mites but on advice from the good peeps here i put an alcohol rub on them. These bugs are a sod though. You have to have eyes like a hawk

Averil (UK)

o

I submerge the container in a large bucket of water with a few drop of dish soap and leave it for several hours. This will drown whatever is in the pot but if there's eggs they can survive. The majority of my plants go into the greenhouse so I don't really care about critters and I've found that even when brought in the house they remain in the pots. My bigger issue is fighting mealy bugs over the winter. They are the bane of my existence when it comes to wintering plants over.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 11:11

Sharon,
I've had fewer problems since I switched to the gritty mix. It seemed like the organics in my previous mix attracted them. When fall comes, I use an insecticide and spray the plant and the mix to kill off the bugs. I then water them thoroughly to rinse the insecticide out.

o

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 13:31

Whip1
Thanks for the info.
Is there a certain brand I should buy.
Sharon

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 13:46

Sharon,
I use the local hardware stores brand of Sevin, or what ever is on sale. Bayer 3 in 1 is highly recommended by many on the forum.

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here