Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonwipf

My budding Adenium Collection

jasonwipf
9 years ago

Hi Guys, just got into Adeniums in May after seeing and buying my first one at a Home depo. I will post happenings on my seedlings and Questions for some of you guys in and throughout the post. Any answers will be much appreciated. (I'm in Houston, TX FYI)

1. First Adenium I put in a bonsai pot. Later removed lava top layer as it was retaining too much moisture deeper in the soil. Later pic I also removed his roommates and set up training wires to start developing a more Lateral umbrella like pattern. Should I cut those roots in the middle caudex? They did contribute to the shape by whoever wrapped and tangled them but they do nothing now.

This post was edited by jasonwipf on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 11:51

Comments (30)

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Main Adenium with training rig and some flowers. Plus 2 new ones I'm experimenting with.

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2. My Arabicium Shada Seeds came in from florida, These are them grown in a Burpee Seedling kit at about 5wks. Empty slot in the middle I got antsy and repoted to a 2in pot at 3wks and gave to my mother, she says its doing fine.

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Hello, Jason, and welcome!

I'm in Houston as well. Also Marie. If you don't mind the look of the roots I'd leave them. They will slowly grow and change over time even if not in the soil. Chances are the roots naturally wrapped themselves like that on the plant.

As for the soil I use Miriclegrow Cactus/Palm mix and add extra perlite. That has seemed to work great for me the past two years that I've expanded my collection of adeniums.

Kirk

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3. At 6wks I just repotted my Shadas in a Thai inspired 2/3 coco chunk 1/3 (coir, grit, sand, manure, top soil mix). There are 4 rows one row I did a 80% tap root cut (row with labels), next spring I will Tap root another row to see the differance long term and the other 2 rows I will leave natural to get Gnarled roots.

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Wow! Just saw the rest of your collection. Nice! I lost my five Chada Petch seedlings over the winter. At some point I will have to get those again. I was also looking at getting some of the other hybrids like your Shada.

I'll be posting later today some pics of my Yak Yemin arabicums that I was gifted last year. Also have some arabicum bouquet.

Kirk

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of a tap root cut seedling. I used the PVC method on these that has a soil filled plastic bag in the middle of a 1 inch wide pvc pc. technique that allows a support BBQ stick to be jabed in the middle.

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My last few Shada Seedlings I ran out of pots for in my 4x7 row tray so I had been collecting these plastic cups I got from Chick fil a. They are the cups you get from buying Fruit cups and come in 2 sizes. Perfect seedling bonsai pots. I worry about these guys as the roots were getting dried by the time I got to them. Hope they wake up or are these doomed?

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay my 100 obesium seedlings I planted on July 10th are up and growing. Even got an Albino seedling in there.

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The whole family. Upper right corner you can see a seed pod sticking up there. When I rescued him, he was on sale at Houston Garden Center, someone had pulled him out of his pot and he had been sitting on his side for a few days and he had just recovered from root rot. Since he looked abused I got him for only $7. But I saw that seed pod and some flowers starting to bud so I thought he might be interesting. His leaves are all curled-in like little tacos, its been 2 weeks and only 1 or 2 have reopened. What do you guys thing about that?

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Kirk. Do Adenium lovers in Houston ever meet or swap stuff? If they survive alright Those 6 Individual potted Shadas I can part with if you want some shada's I was going to give them as gifts later and wanted to keep at least 2 of the 6. jasonwipf@mac.com

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

I'm not opposed to swapping with the locals. I also know some members would most likely be willing to trade via mail as well.
    I know Marie has offered to sell me a couple in the past when I was just getting started. She has also given me a list of great places to get adeniums from around Houston. Usually in April seems to be the best time for a larger selection. I'll dig through my email and find that list for you.

Kirk

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice! TY

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more pic of those curled leaves. This ok or bad?

This post was edited by jasonwipf on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:49

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

I'm guessing the curled leaves was due to dehydration. But now that it's in your care and has been repotted I think it will recover nicely. If those leaves do not flatten out then I'm sure all the new leaves will be fine.

And congrats on the seed pod. I'm currently waiting on my first seed pot to finish growing and maturing.

Kirk

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Jason,

Looks like you have a great start with DR's. I too have just been bitten with the DR bug. I've had a few for several years, but my plumeria & tropical hibiscus have always ruled. But, this year I have begun to collect adenium.
    I'll actually be in Houston this weekend and searching a few places Kirk has told me about.

Welcome to the group.

Lonnie

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Lonnie, when you get to Chaya, tell him that Marie Tran is your friend and demand discount....Chaya is my boyfriend, he will give you discount......LOL

p.s. I also have another boyfriend (Mike) who works at www.adeniumrose.com in Florida.......LOL

All male who sells desert rose happen to be my boyfriends.

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marie. Ill sell some of my seedlings so I can be your boyfriend too. :-p

Kirk gave me a list of good Adenium nurseries. Which houston nurseries has the largest specimens for sale? I have tones of seedlings but they are going to take years for me to fully enjoy.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Jason,
    Your seedlings look great! Looks like all are sprouting for you. Did you get them from a supplier in Florida? I never had such luck with my seeds from Thailand .thanks for sharing your addiction with us.
    Sharon

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The larger shades were from Florida and the many smaller ones were from Thailand. Both are about 90% prop rate so far. Thai shipping took for ever!

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Question: after reporting my first batch of seedlings I noticed the leaves are starting to move upward or more vertical instead of horizontal. Could this be that they are getting too much sun, soil to dry/wet or is it just a reaction to their very first repot as a seedling? The leaves are a tad less green but not yellow or falling.

• ixorapink
    9 years ago

Nice looking seedlings Jasonwipf,

jan

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Marie,

Your to funny. I went to both nurseries on Breen, and Chaya had the best selection with really large caudex's.
    I'll try to post pics tomorrow. I have some pics on FB, The Adenium Group.

Lonnie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Marie,

Here is a pic of the DR's from Chaya.

Lonnie

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Lonnie, I am so glad you got good ones from Chaya.
    In few weeks with full head of leaves, they will look much better and ready for second blooming season. Those look very nice and very big......no place with better price, don't you think?

p.s. I emailed Chaya before your arrival and he told me I will give me 90% commission.......on your total purchase....LOL.....

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Marie,

You should at least get a DR for your efforts!!
    Lonnie

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

I am so itching to go see Chaya at Natures Grower.

Problem 1: Convince room mate to drive me up there.
    Problem 2: Not enough cash.
    Problem 3: Try to figure out which adeniums I couldn't possibly live without.
    Problem 4: Figure out where to put them all.

LOL

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Kirk, you only have 4 problems to solve?
    I can help you out.....ready....?
    1- I also live in Houston, I can stop by and pick you up?
    2-Don't need cash, all you need is plastic in your pocket.
    3- Buy one each kind.
    4- No place to put them? My backyard is okay....I can take care of them for you.
    Problems solve?
    Marie......LOL

I want to come too......

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

I may take you up on that offer some day, Marie! Although I think two adenium addicts shopping together would mean disaster for someone. Not sure who but someone. LOL

Kirk

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

I'd love to meet you two there one day!!
    He also had several multi-colored grafts on single plants.
    Limits the number of plants Kirk!!

There is always a way to justify our addiction!!
    He also had a lot of new Crown of Thorns, but didn't get any!

Lonnie

• jasonwipf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys are these obesums veriegated? Leaves are all sharp at the ends.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler