Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19802998

Opening today

User
9 years ago

Here is one of last years seedlings from Mr Ko's seed Miracle x 45 which was double red x double red. This is the best of the bunch so far. The blooms are still in the process of opening after developing for several months. The plant has very leathery leaves that seem to have some natural resistance to RSM.
Brian UK.

Comments (24)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another bloom
    Brian UK

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now the whole plant
    Brian UK.

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful bloom! I am having a moment though and can't begin to think what RSM stands for....

-Heather

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Gorgeous blooms! And I believe RSM = red spider mite. Took me a minute to think of it as well. I was thinking a disease.

Kirk

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

Ahhh, thanks. Beautiful blooms and resistant to spider mites is a double win!

-Heather

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

One year old seedlings that bloom for you in the UK,
    did I get that right ?

And if so,
    how on earth do you do it ?

Britta ( in Norway )

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Oh,
    and they are of course absolutly beautiful,
    but I sort of got sidetracked ... lol ...

Again,
    Britta ( still in Norway )

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Congrats to you adenium1949, this is from seeds?
    I don't even have any double from seed.

So jealous....

Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Britta, I think Brian is secretly a magician with green fingers who buys the best seeds available, he also knows exactly what DR's need to thrive and gives them just that. Meanwhile us lesser mortals do the best we can and that is why I am still waiting for my first flower despite being gifted 2 lovely plants by Brian......and I still can't figure out where I'm going wrong, sigh.

Hi Brian, hope you are well. What magic have you performed here again I wonder? It's a lovely flower for sure...congratulations! You seem to have cracked this Adenium growing far better than any of us here in the UK...I salute you Mr S.

I thought Miracle x 45 seemed vaguely familiar so I just went to the g/h and checked and it's the smaller of the 2 plants you gave me!! I'm pleased to say it's healthy and has a real good crop of leaves, the Dang Siri is also fine. In fact both have done far better in the g/h this year than the south window. You do get an amazing amount of growth in a short timespan on your plants as Britta says.

Gill UK

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

What a beautiful color, Brian. You defininte do have a touch of splendor in that greenhouse of yours. Always a real treat to see you plants and blooms.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Bravo, that is a real beauty. How wonderful that you are growing on such gorgeous plants in your climate. I can still picture all the plants in your greenhouse and how lovely your collection is.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,
    Huge thanks for all your kind comments, here is how this plant was raised. The seed was sown early January 2013 in a propagator ( of course, midwinter here) at 80/90 degrees and under T5 lights. This was a very small setup in a corner of a spare room, but seedlings take up little room as you know. Adenium seedlings respond extremely well to this and it makes use of an otherwise unproductive season. No secret, just blast them with heat and light until the sun returns to take over the process. In my opinion this shortens the time to blooming by a whole year and produces plants more able to withstand the following winter. In fact this plant first bloomed in August 2013 with one huge bloom that split, and then again in February this year in ordinary indoor conditions by a radiator. So you see its a "cheat" really as this method gives then two summers in one year. They don't get such pampering now of course. Gill good to hear the plants are responding to your care, they will surely bloom for you. Just for interest here is a picture of this plant last February in natural light.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK

• averil
    9 years ago

Brian, that is gorgeous, such a lovely deep red. Like everyone, I'm amazed how you get them to flower. My few buds are still budding along lol. I will put up a pic if and when they open lol

Averil

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

What a beautiful flower! Congrats Brian & thanks for sharing.

Lonnie

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Brian,
    I've been wondering if growlights for a period in early Spring would be the thing to make them bloom here in the North. What you write here strengthens my theory.

I've bought two 90cm growlights (and stands for them), placed suitably apart they will make quite a bit of "tropic light". I will probably try next late Winter and Spring.

Thanks for the detailed description of Your Method !

:-)

Britta

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Britta,
    I think you have made a wise choice, this far north they need a little extra help, especially if your weather is as unreliable as ours. Waiting until summer to sow seeds for example gives just too short a growing season, these are tropical plants after all. Best of luck with your experiment.
    Brian UK.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE
    Here are a couple of photos of this seedlings blooms now. They are developing a distinct blue edge.
    Brian UK

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The buds are huge.
    Brian UK

• averil
    9 years ago

Good heavens Brian, that is a beautiful flower but I'm aghast at the size of the buds!! Absolutely huge!! Are you sure your'e not feeding them raw meat! That's amazing! I don't know how you do it

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Averil,
    No, I don't feed them meat, but I don't turn my back on them either!
    Brian UK.

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

I have a "small size ladies hand" ,
    I hold it out and "picture to myself" a bud filling it like yours do ,
    and then add some for a mans hand ...

And I go wow , WOW ... lol ...

So if not raw meat , what do you feed them ?

Britta ( in very sunny and warm Norway )

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Very impressive, Brian and beautiful color.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

What a stunning bloom, Brian. Very nice to get something like this from a plant that you have started from seed. Love how the deep purple is developing on the new blooms.
    Rick

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your responses, the potential in the best seeds is improving rapidly I think. I may see other changes in this plant as it matures. It may be a reminder not to be too hasty when judging first blooms on seedlings.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.