Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodom087

Update on my sister's DRs

kodom087 z9a
10 years ago

Here is the suspected somalense cross in bloom. I rooted 5 cuttings when I trimmed it shorter per her request. Can't wait for mine to bloom now.
{{gwi:348513}}

Here is the one I repotted for her back in April.
{{gwi:348514}}

Kirk

Comments (11)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

They are looking great Kirk.
    Marie

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Those are some sweet trees! I like the veining in the throat area on that flower. Very nice. Paula

ps you are a good brother.

• 11otis
    10 years ago

kodom087: I don't usually like pink but your DR has a nice dark pink. I have read somewhere that if you grow DR from cuttings, there will be no caudex but I do see one on yours.
    Is it a yes and no and sometimes kind of thing?

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Otis,

They eventually develop caudex they just take a lot longer to develop them.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I'm still stuck in Port Aransas for another week taking care of family stuff.

The pic with the flower I'm sure was raised from seed. I'll let you know how my cuttings off this plant develop over time. All five have only been rooter since May.

The second pic (the obesum) I have always thought it was from a cutting. But it has a nice caudex under the dirt so not sure if it developed or was from seed.

Kirk

This post was edited by kodom087 on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 23:04

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Otis, here's a picture of the five or six cuttings I took off the plant that's in the first picture in this topic post. They have only been rooted since mid to late May. It will be some time before these develop a caudex if at all. Will be interesting to watch these over the next few years.
    {{gwi:344575}}

Kirk

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Have you thought about grafting one of the cuttings? Paula

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I may do that on an arabicum seedling next year.

Kirk

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Did you use rooting hormone or just stuck them in the medium. How I envy people living in warm climates with lots of WM, HD, Lowe's and what not..
    Thanks for posting the pic. Kirk.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One this particular five cuttings I had actually dipped them in rooting powder right after I had cut them. Not sure if that helped or not dipping in powder so soon. I then let it callous over for about four or five days, stuck it in moist cactus/perlite mix and stuck it on the back patio in a fairly shaded spot. I think the heat from sun beating down on the concrete for about 4 hours a day helped keep the pot warm at night where it was sitting even though our nights are generally pretty warm in Houston. Oh, I did mist it about every other day to make sure soil didn't dry out to much.

Kirk

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Kirk, some more questions. When you choose cuttings to root, will any cutting do or is there a min. size in diameter and length (or nodes) i.e. could you use the very tip of a branch to root? And how deep is the part in the soil (appr.)?

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz