locoguy

walmart selling DR

locoguy
11 years ago

Saw yesterday at walmart a bunch of goodlooking DRs

Comments (65)

• Allan870
    11 years ago

Here's my Walmart desert rose, that I purchased on clearance in July.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice looking plant. Different shade of pink than the ones i have. Went by wm and they had one of the fat ones left and a few skinny ones.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice looking plant. Different shade of pink than the ones i have. Went by wm and they had one of the fat ones left and a few skinny ones.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Gosh, sooo lush & purty =) They're doing so well for you!

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its growing quick

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up of seedpod

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A pic of how it looked a couple of days after my attempt at hand pollination

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic1

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic 2 a couple of days later

• Blondmyk
    11 years ago

I purchased an Adenium at WM in March of this year (2012) on the discount rack after a hail storm. It was pretty pathetic looking so I had to take it and try to nurse it back to health. I knew NOTHING about Desert Roses at the time, so I just more or less just took it and babied it as much as I could and at first it lost nearly all of it's leaves. It did make a comeback and bloom for me though in July.

About two weeks ago I joined Gardenweb and started reading up on the cool plants, and now that I am looking at mine I see that it is grafted with a V graft. It has no branches below the graft, so I find this very strange. Any idea why a grafted adenium would wind up in the Walmart mark down bin? Any idea's how I might get the lower part of the plant to branch out again? Can this even be done?

Any advice would surely be appreciated!

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Blondmyk, consider yourself a lucky person. Once in awhile people do find graft plants at Walmart. No branches below the graft is okay for now, it needs engery to care for the scion and few months down the road, the mother branches will come out.
    Can you post a picture for us to enjoy?
    Marie

• Blondmyk
    11 years ago

Well, I don't really have any good photos of it onhand, and it's done blooming now, probably for the season. I'm in South Texas though, so I suppose I could get a surprise.

Give me a few hours and I'll try to get a photo downloaded to my computer to the graft, and you'll get to see that. In the meantime here is one of the flowers it's throwing above the graft. Mind you, it produced a lot more flowers this season, but this photo was taken in July. The heat really stunted it this year and I wound up feeling like it needed more shade since it was starting to drop leaves.

I've not been fertilizing. I'll read through and see if I can identify what I need to buy for it from the boards here. Hate to ask people the same questions that have already been asked before. I know it needs something though as the leaves seem deformed.

Thanks again for your time!

• Blondmyk
    11 years ago

Well, photo isn't as bad as I thought. You can see the graft, and it had more than one flower. Not many leaves though. It did finally start to grow new ones. Now it's dropping them again though...sigh. Picky little guy.

• Blondmyk
    11 years ago

Well, photo isn't as bad as I thought. You can see the graft, and it had more than one flower. Not many leaves though. It did finally start to grow new ones. Now it's dropping them again though...sigh. Picky little guy.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just went by Walmart and saw that they are selling again....

• Neysa
    11 years ago

My WM never got any in this year. I kept visiting in hopes they would. Last summer I got one fir $15.00

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

Locoguy,

What ever happened with your seeds? Do you have photos of the open seedpods?

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Tracy,
    The seedpod is still there, it hasn't opened yet. hopefully I will open up soon. Here is a pic of how the plant is looking now.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just went by Walmart again and they had an interesting looking dr

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

So jealous of u guys...u get these nice ones at walmart with fat ass caudex's ...all the ones we can buy at nursaries or plant warehouses here look like the pic ive attached. You cant get anything bigger unless u go to the markets of get them off private growers and collectors like sandy :(

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

@LocoGuy - That is amazing!! I so envy you right now! Don't forget to wrap it so the babies don't fly away. :) Keep me posted will ok. I'm jealous.

@sbrow - you are too funny! Those look nice and healthy. Babies are exciting! The anxiety alone takes you another level. Hopefully you gave one of those beautiful lil guys a new home.

Would someone mind telling me how to put photos on the site? I'm a little lost. Thank you!

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Ahhh yes i am very temped to ;) I am also eagerly awaiting the opening of my seed pods. So then i will have desert roses of the newly born, baby, todler, teenager, young adult and adult stages :P. I would love one of the mature adult age group like this pic but have never seen anyone who is willing to part with them which is understandable as they are simply stunning with all their blooms and fancy caudex's. :( Id be happy with it even if it was just plain pink :P

Oh and all you have to do to add pics is add a pic into the "image file to upload" line which is above where you are typing your reply. You can only do one pic per comment though. Some other people use photobucket and such and link it somehow but i dont know how to do that :/

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

This plant is very famous on this forum....
    Marie

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Is it?? I just googled large desert roses and it came up in images...Hows it famous here?

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Sbrow, if you look at the picture of this site, it is the same plant. It belongs to Lauri, who lived in Florida. She used to be very active in this forum.

Whoever belongs to Garden Web and visit C & S forum back about 5 years saw this plant many times a year on this forum.

Marie

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Here is the link that her plant looked in 2010 when she first get to know me on Garden Web. Copy and paste if the link doesn't work. In this link were my 2010 DR, back then I don't have any double and triple.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0510252531104.html

Marie

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This seed pod has been there for over 2 months. How long does it usually take for seedpods to open?

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

I don't know exactly, but it takes longer than 2 months.
    Marie

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marie, I repotted my other plant a few weeks ago with the mix of soil and perlite you told me and I think it worked. I see a lot of buds starting to form. Probably the most ive seen on that plant at one time. The next step would be the pruning but i dont know when to do it or how to do it. I live in Miami and we probably only get 2 days out of the whole year where temperatures drop to around 55 degrees. Can I just prune at any time of the year?

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Locoguy, it is late into the year already, and you see many buds forming? That means you will see so many more buds next blooming season. About pruning, I wait, because the plant is about to go into adormant period. It will not grow during winter months, so it is better to wait until early March (for your weather).

May be someone else have better idea.

Marie

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

Wow! It looks so healthy
    I love the color. It's taking on a brownish look that means she's getting closer. ;) what do you plan on doing with the seeds? Plant them? Sell them?

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll plant some, and give some to my mom........................... I know you want some lol, I can send you some.. I saw your new plants, did they tell you what color they were?

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

Lol :)

But of course I do. No, the nursery had no clue what color so I'll have to wait.

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

BTW - I visited the Fl city Walmart and yes....they did have DR's for sale. I took a good hard look at them and all but one were cuttings. I decided against buying it because I couldn't tell the color. And it did not look as good as yours. :)

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Testing 1, 2..... just testing to see if I could upload directly from phone

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Testing 1, 2..... just testing to see if I could upload directly from phone

{{!gwi}}

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

LocoGuy,

Which Walmart you go to in Miami? I newer seen any where I went, and I'm in Miami ;/. My HD had small ones all summer long, but I lost fewvdue to root rot and others aren't very strong either.

Aggie

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one on kendall.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seedpod is starting to open.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seedpod opening

{{!gwi}}

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Aww I'm jealous! I can't wait to try my hand at pollinating my 3 adeniums next year. And I'm excited to see the seedlings sprouting in my thread you just commented on...even if they are generic pink ones. :)

Kirk

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got lucky with this one. It only put out one flower, and I was lucky with my hand pollination attempt.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put a net around it to catch the seeds

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put a net around it to catch the seeds

{{!gwi}}

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first seed that started floating around.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first seed that started floating around.

{{!gwi}}

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First time getting seeds

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Wow! Seeds look great. Congrats, again.

Kirk

• locoguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago