Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

Hello and a basic question and in need of advice

11otis
10 years ago

I am new to this forum and have been lurking for a while. Only 19 pages on the Adenium forum but my progress in reading them has been slow, only a few pages so far and I have been hopping to here and there, trying to find an answer to my question.
How can I tell if my plant is a Plumeria or an Adenium???
I got 2 seedlings from Bali in 2004 and they have been doing very poorly. One is now 20" and the other 22" tall and spindly. The 20" (w. only 5 leaves on top) has the nice L-shape caudex(?), the other just a thickening at the base, has 3 branches (2") along the trunk with 2 (or just one) leaves , the top broke off and a new branch sprouted from it. Until a few days ago I thought enough is enough, I have to do something about it and started lurking here. Never knew about plumeria and always believed what I got from Bali were Desert Roses because I also have a pot I "recued" from Walmart a few yrs. ago, labeled as DR but has graft marks. 4 branches that over the yrs. have also become spindly thin. The lack of leaves I contribute to the presence of scales and I kept washing them off from time to time. After reading several of Al's post, I re-potted all 3 to bigger pots enough for roots to expand, prepare a soil mix to imitate Al's gritty mix as close as possible. Got the clay from a bonsai store, and used coco husk. Got no time release fertilizer on hand other than a small bottle of time release African Violet fert. so I thought that is better than nothing and added 1/2 or less teaspoon/pot to the mix.
Is there still hope for me to see ANY flower from these?

Comments (5)