Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Dbl adenium buds

karyn1
11 years ago

1 mature bud held after the storm that ripped thru here last week and it's on the Valentine Rose, a double obesum. Most of the tiny buds held but only that 1 big one. 1 of the little ones is catching up and it too is much bigger then singles the same age. I am amazed at the size of the bud, 3.5" long. Marie do all doubles have such big buds? The plastic plant tag is 5" long. It will be interesting to see how big the flower is when it opens. It's just too bad that so many of the buds got knocked off but at least the plants weren't damaged. Wish I could say the same about many others. It was the worst storm we've experienced in this area and I've been here for 49 years.

{{gwi:348860}}

{{gwi:348861}}

Comments (8)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Wow Karyn, I hope it will open and stand up straight for you. Yes, most double is larger than normal. My family got out of DC just on time for the storm to come in.
    I am glad we didn't get stuck there.
    Marie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Compared to a regular single bud this thing is huge! The bud on the far left is a single that should open in a few days. The double bud dwarfs it. I wonder if the other double buds will be that big?
    {{gwi:348862}}

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Karyn, please update whenever it opens.
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Karen..

Congratulations!!!

I can't wait to see it open for you! You must be so excited to see this beauty bloom for you!!

Please keep us posted..

Those storms were terrible. I got home that night from a trip and the wind gust were up to 70 mph. I kept going outside to pick up trees that were not tyed to my railing, but i gave in since it seemed to scary to be outside at nidnight in those conditions.. Then we had round two of storms that caused tornadoes.. unbelievable!!

Hope you are doing well and hoping that you had a great 4th!!!

Take care,

Laura

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bud is beginning to unfurl but it's getting too heavy for the plant to support it. I had to prop it up and hope that it will continue to open.

Hope you didn't suffer any damage. We've never had storms cause so much widespread damage but thankfully we only had some vent covers blow off the roof, container plants blown to God knows where and tree branches down, not to mention all the crap in the pool, which was uncovered. We figured it was better to have to use a net to clean out the pool then risk the neighbors trees coming down on it. The last storm their trees came down and ripped the pool cover. A couple friends in the neighborhood still don't have power and it's been over a week. At least all the traffic signals are now working and the roads are open. We were lucky and were only w/o power for a couple days and even luckier that we were able to find a couple hotel rooms when we were out. Everything within 30 miles was booked. If temps hadn't been so hot it might have been tolerable but temps have been (and still are) in the low 100's. All the local fireworks displays were canceled and I'm just not willing to fight the crowds in DC any longer. We set off our own fireworks which are quite illegal in MD. Even sparklers are illegal here. The kids had picked up a bunch of fireworks when they were in the Carolinas over Spring Break so we put them to good use.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the open flower on that one Karyn so please show us when it pops!

Glad to read you are OK following those awful storms. The weather is crazy over here also, the UK is awash again houses/contents/posessions ruined and flood alerts in place nationwide. More storms with torrential rain forecast for this week and rest of July, and low temps too. Whats going on? Stay safe....everyone.
    Gill from the soggy UK.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gill I had no idea that the weather in the UK was so bad. I hope you don't suffer any damage. It's crazy. Global warming, cooling, who knows, but we've certainly done something. It's dry here when it should be raining, extreme heat and cold.....

The bud finally opened but unfortunately the inner petals had already begun to wilt. It's too bad because it would have been a very impressive bloom, 4" across! There's more buds that should open soon but they are about a third of the size. I guess those are normal. Still a bit bigger then a regular single but nothing like that first bud.
    {{gwi:348863}}

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Karyn, I am glad you are okay after the storm. I remembered hurricane Ike came to Houston about 4 years ago. I will never forget. No electricity for 9 days in the heat. Everywhere looked like war zone. I was very scared during the hurricane and promised to myself, I will be the first one on the road next hurricane. We hanged out at home with no hotel....

I am glad your bud finally opened. Atleast you can see it's beauty for the first time.

Marie

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz