Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

A little help

I got this plant about a year ago. I repotted into the gritty mix. I keep it outside in the summer. Water when needed, and light fert. it's been slowly growing new leaves, but that's about it. I'm hoping to add some size to the caudex, and get it to bloom.

{{gwi:94173}}

Any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Rob

Comments (13)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Rob,

Can you post a pic after you repotted it?

What type of fertilizer are you using? I fertilize my trees every week at reg to full strenght at this time of the year. I also like my DR's in the Gritty Mix and i keep them in full sun duting the summer. I actually dont worry about watering to much when in this mix. My trees get watered about every three days or so. In this heat that we are having, i will water just to make me feel better and i dont worry that im giving them to much. The excess runs right out of the pot and that is it! I will water a little before i fertilize to make sure the mix with Fert and Pro TeKt doesnt just run free from the mix itself. I also prune back my limbs in the early spring.

Your tree looks good, but i bet it looks better now that you have repotted it in the Gritty Mix. Did you raise the Caudex?

Looking forward to seeing your tree..

Hope this has helped a little..

I would give it more fertilizer now in the growing season.

Just my two cents worth!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    That is after the repot. The plant was just watered and it's in a shadow so the soil looks very dark. Bad photography, LOL. I'm be away for a few days, and I'll try to get you a better picture then. I use a general liquid fertilizer from Shultz. In this heat, I water every day. Normally, I water about 2-3 days. The caudex was raised when I repotted it. Can I prune now, or is it better to wait until next spring? is there anything I can do to encourage blooming?

Rob

11 years ago

Hey Rob

I am so sorry ..it looked so dark in the pic, that is why i thought it was the "before" pic. The mix looked like there was a lot of peat. You are right anout the shade.., LOL..so sorry!!!

You could trim if you want and wait for the latex to seal itself in an hour . I like to seal the end with a waterproof wood glue when i make the cut. SOme might suggest to leave the stems and keep them because you might have a better chance to see blooms on these older stems. The choice is yours.

The tallest stem looks like it may bloom to me.. But it is hard to see. I would def cut them back this spring and keep them in shape with the whole canopy around the tree. It is hard to see which to cut back and how far, but you have been around and i know you know what you are doing.

Continue to fertilize and water when needed and i bet you will see blooms on the top stem.

If you want my advice on where to cut..just let me know.

Make sure you give it a drink before you fertilize so that it can absorb the fertlilizer in the water mix. When using the Gritty mix, we have to rewater sometimes because it runs through so fast. Especially when i know im going to fertilize. I water..then i go back and water w fertilizer..

Take care,

Laura

I cant wait to see pics of this beauty in the sun!! : )

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    You were right! It looks like the largest branch is forming buds! I'll leave it alone for now because I want to see what color it is. The trimming will wait until spring. I'll try to get a few better pics tomorrow.

Rob

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Rob, closely look, your plant could be a grafted one.
    It looked like v-shape graft. The big branch could be a mother. My eyes could be wrong...
    Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Marie I think I see what you are talking about. It appears that there's a grafted section. The thickest middle branch but it looks like the grafted portion either died or was broken off. I can't tell if there's a branch still growing from what appears to be the graft or if all the growth is originating from the rootstock.If there was a pic 180 degrees from the one posted you could tell where that branch is growing from.

11 years ago

I see it too!

You are correct Marie and Karen... Growth is from the root stock.. Graft looks like it didnt take.. hopefully it might have some life in it and surprise us all!!!

Great eye!!

Laura

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been busy, and unable to get a better picture. I'm not getting home until it's dark. Haven't even looked at the plants other to water a bit. What does it mean if the graft didn't take for the plant? Will it bloom?

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally had some time to take a few more pictures. Now that I look at it, it's a graft. It even has two different kinds of leaves. Looking down at it, one set of leaves are smooth and glossy, and the other is somewhat fuzzy. You can see the buds forming on the right set of leaves.
    {{gwi:349164}}
    I'll trim it next spring. How far do you recommend I cut it back?
    {{gwi:349165}}

Rob

11 years ago

Hey Rob,

Great pics...It was hard to see if that limb was from the graft or not. I thought they were both from the root stock. But, that is wonderful news!!! Looks like you will have flowers soon! : ) YES!!!

I would cut back the limb Tallest Root stock limb.. (thickest) one to just above the graft line. ( Giving you a spot to measure by) Remember, it will branch out for you and make the tree fuller. The other limb which is from the new graft, i would cut back either below the Y . That is just my opinion..i would want it to branch out closer to the base and make it thicker.

Im sure you will have more opinions from the experts here. That is what i would do. Enjoy yours blooms. Don't be afraid to cut back, it only encourages more branching and makes your trees fuller.

Just my two cents!!!

Congratulations Rob!!

Laura

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Congratulations Rob. Please update whenever it blooms.
    Laura, your advice was very good.
    Marie

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys. I'll post pics of the blooms as soon as I have them.
    Laura, Just to make sure, you recommend waiting until spring to trim?

11 years ago

Hey Rob,

I would wait until early spring to trim. Some will cut during summer... but i would wait.. thats just me!!

When you do trim, make sure you seal those cuts, so moisture doesn't set in. I like to use waterproof wood glue. I wait a few hours after i cut, then apply a film over the entire surface of the cut stem.

I love the color of your blooms to come!!

Sooooooooo excitig!!!

Great job!!!

Again... My two cents... : )

Take care,

Laura

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz