Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragon66_gw

Dusty like look on DR leaves

Dragon66
10 years ago

I've been noticing some of the leaves on my DR has this dusty yellow look. First I thought that it was just turning yellow and going to fall, but it not. The plant looks healthy and seems to going to bloom soon, in the pic you could the difference of green and the yellow one. If anyone had this before please let me know if this goes away or if there is something might be happening that I should take care of.

Thanks all
Ron

Comments (12)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I cannot tell for sure, when I try to enlarge photo it becomes too blurry.
    To me it looks like symptoms of spider mite damage. Looks like there are tiny dots and the yellowing is a result.
    I would treat it. It will not hurt it.
    There is a resent posting about mite solutions.
    Rick

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick, sorry for the crappy pic, I'm working on getting myself a good camera. I have never encountered mites before so I'm really not sure what they look like, is it something that you can see with the naked eye? I have a soapy mix I bought for another plant and it says it's for treating mites also. I'll try it and see what happens.

• mscynthia
    10 years ago

Looks like it could be iron chlorosis.

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This doesn't sound good. Would fertilizer cause this to happen?

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

My smaller plants sometime does that, I just take those leaves off and wait for new leaves.

I have no idea what cause that.

Marie

• mscynthia
    10 years ago

I don't know if fertilizer contributes but I don't think so. Iron chlorosis is the leaf-yellowing from lack of iron - you get the yellow leaves with green veins. You could get some liquid chelated iron (garden centers usually have it) and try dosing with that. I don't know that that's the problem but the leaf looks like my lemon tree does when it's low on iron.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

The leaves will fall off anyhow, so removing will not hurt It.

Generally with Iron Chlorosis the leaf remains green and the veins go quite yellow. I do not think it is this issue.
    If you are using a balanced fertilizer, it should be fine.

I have seen extensive mite damage give appearance to leaves.
    I would take off leaves and treat for mites.
    Rick

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday I treated the leaves with a soapy mix and today it appears to look better, so later this even I'm going to treat again and keep a close eye for the next few days. I'll update the progress if it gets better or worst.

Ron

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Definitely looks like spider mite damage to me. Treatments will not actuually make the leaves look like they did do, but should get rid of the criiters that cause the disfigurement. Look out for tiny pale coloured insects especially on the indersides of leaves and a fine webbing.
    Gill UK

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been looking for anything like that but I haven't seen any signs of tiny webs or bugs. I going to keep monitoring it closely.

• varunc7
    10 years ago

may be spider mites as everyone says to get rid of the mites take some tape and wind it in your fore finger with the the sticky side out and just rub this on the leaves having mites they get stuck and killed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn these spider mites!! Yesterday I did see a very tiny thing moving on one of the leaves, so now i'm convinced it's mites. Thanks varunc7 for that tape-on-your-finger trick :)

Ron