Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help with my desert rose

Posted by dianna_2008 middle TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 18:20

Ihave had my desert rose for about 6 years. It's trunk isn't growing, but the top is very tall and skinney. Should I trim it back to the trunk? I have it in cactus soil. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help with my desert rose

Hi Dianna,
I am unfamiliar to the growing conditions/climate in TN.
I would definitely prune it back quote low down. From the photo, atleast 8" - 10" above the soil level. When you prune. Prune on a 45 degree angle with bottom of angle cut 1/4"-3/8" above a node. Seal cut or leave if you do not have any sealer.
Make sure it is getting very good sunlight for 8hrs. Min.
Is this plant dormant? Has it started growing this year? I usually do not prune dormant plants.
This plant would not structurally support flowers and you may find that the caudex (base above soil) gets larger over time.
I hope this helps,
Rick

o

Dianna, still plenty of time to prune, this is only July.
When you prune, your plant will be full and nice.

Good luck and please photos after prune and new leaves.

Marie

o

Dianna, what kind of light does the plant receive?

Mark

o

Thanks for all of the advice. It has full sun all day. It has been 90 degrees and above for the past month here in TN. I put it outside this time of year. It grew a lot this past winter while it was inside.

o

Prune away, you will be amazed how quickly it will leaf out, and be full and bushy. These are amazing little guys.

o

Everyone here is telling you right about the pruning back. I know it would be hard to prune something you've have for so long.

I would also change the soil you have in the pot. The mix I use is 75% peat moss ...20% soil conditioner ...and the last 5% is perlite. And I would either top it off with topdress fertilizer or with osmocote. Not both at the same time.

o

Yep. Best advice from everyone. Cut it back and watch it bush out.

Kirk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here