Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Quandry about flower buds dropping off?

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar occurrence with one of their Adeniums.
I have a Triple flower Adenium that last year produced a few buds which got to an 1/2" and dropped off.
This year it has produced many buds, now at different stages of development and 2 of the largest (1 1/2" long) looking ready to unfurl, have just dropped off.
Not sure what to think and hope for some ideas.
Rick

Comments (8)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Rick, that is common with DR. I had one that produced many buds, but for 2-years without one fully open.
    Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marie. I appreciate your help. Plant looks very healthy and growing amazingly.
    Rick

• User
    10 years ago

Hello Rick,
    I have had this problem too, but only with grafted plants. This makes me wonder if it is due to some incompatibility with the rootstock.

Brian UK.

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Rick,

I searched for "flower bud drop within the forum" and found 335 discussions. So I revived your thread in hopes of getting updates from you and Marie.

Beginning of April, this cluster of flowers (my first seedling buds) mysteriously dropped off.

Then in mid-May I took a picture of this other plant's buds.

After waiting over a month, the buds grew very little and eventually dropped off earlier this month. See how the plant continued it's upward growth.

Both of these have strap-shaped leaves with reddish tinges on the leaves. I have a number of adeniums like these and I'm wondering if you might know what I could do to prevent flower buds from dropping off.

-Kadie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kadie, I am not sure even now completely why this issue occurs.

There has been debate about the possibility of it being a Boron deficiency, over or lack of watering?

I have had it happen to both grafted and seed grown plants. The one thing I do find is that the plants that had produced blooms almost to maturity and subsequently aborted them. Now, produce full blooms. On occasion a few really small buds will fall off. With them, I have put it down to the plant thinning these out itself.

One factor that had been mentioned to me a few years back, was to make sure that I do not over water my plants when in bloom.

Going to do some more grafting of a few of my favorites onto a nice root stock.

Marie got me started on grafting and the few I tried are starting to do quite well, although relatively small now. Tried on some seedlings as practice material. Always have more of these than I need.

Rick

• Kadie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good to know they will eventually produce mature blooms.

Rick, about grafting, please show your progress--thinking about trying it myself.

-Kadie

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Rick, it is good that your grafts do well. Show them off, we want to see it.

Marie

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County