Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

What to do adenium?

Marie Tran
9 years ago

I had total of 14 of these in March, slowly one by one died, but these 3 still firm. They just sit there for 5 months without doing anything. Can any one help me with this problem?

{{gwi:349503}}

{{gwi:349505}}

This is chicken without the head.

{{gwi:349507}}

{{gwi:349508}}

Marie

Comments (14)

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Marie, about 4 years back I had cut off one of the big roots off my oldest adenium due to rot. I had decided to keep the root and cleaned all rot from it. It lived and never grew for a couple of years. It did start putting out some feeder roots above ground though. Last year when I did my first graft was onto that root and it took.

To me your roots look healthy and so I'd give it a try. With your success rate with your grafts I have a good feeling that if you do this you'll have great results.

This is the only suggestion I do have and I believe it's worth a try.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Marie,
    I wonder if grafting something on top would make a difference.
    Possibly they will not produce any top growth from a certain point. Many plants do not produce terminal or
    leader from root stock. Wonder if they need something
    to act as growth point??
    Just a thought.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kirk and Rick, thank you.
    I will keep them for another year, I hope they will produce new leaves for me soon. If they do, will use that for grafting point.

Marie

• Relve
    9 years ago

OMG!
    You made âÂÂâÂÂa radical pruning! They need at least one space which has had to be able to sprout leaf, can use for grafting she survives.

• kiwijoe21
    9 years ago

Grafting may be your best solution for these. From the way they look from your pictures ...I don't see any notches where the plant leaves a mark when the leaf falls off.

Graft them to make one with multiple colors ...because the flat graft union won't do for these .. you will have to use the v grating union.

• Marlene666
    9 years ago

Marie
    For 3 years I have kept one like yours. It is still alive but was pruned too low and there is no way it will shoot again as it has nothing to shoot from.
    Best thing is a graft on top. Marlene

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all suggestions.
    I will try this weekend and let my GW friends know the result. It may not work, but don't know if not trying right?

Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Marie, my Black Purple did the same thing earlier this year. I had to cut off one of the big side roots to save it and the rot had gone into the whole stem. I saved a bunch of cuttings and cleaned out the rot from the rest of the root and caudex. After regrafting the Black Purple onto it's original rootstock this is what it looks like as of yesterday. There were no growth nodes below the cut so I doubt I'll ever see any new branches below the graft. Oh, and I had got super nervous about the rot so I ended up doing an ugly v graft.

{{gwi:349509}}

Kirk

• Shimolee (India 11)
    8 years ago

Did the above two scions work ? Love the idea

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Shimolee, yes they both took. Looking very good until winter came and the plant died.

I only have one now, the shortest pot, still look the same.

Marie

• Sinha
    8 years ago

So sad for your loss Marie. Sad that you lost such beautiful plants....

• Pagan
    8 years ago

Oh wow. I never saw this thread. I'm glad you were able to save some of them, Marie.

Pagan

• Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
    7 years ago

Marie did the last plant survive? If so what does it look like?

This is interesting