Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwijoe21

these are the oldest that l own

kiwijoe21
9 years ago

In my introduction I said I was never happy that I was never able to have a collection but in the past 7 years I have only kept a few that stood out to me.

The miniature on one of post and the one to the left of the picture are the two
Oldest ones. They are seven years old almost to the day ...July 15, 2007 was when they germinated and I was so excited ...thrilled that I was able to grow an adenium from a seed. Back then you see I only did cuttings from wimpy ...under nourished plants ...that were cuttings as well.

The white one in the middle grew from a seed in July 10, 2010 and I never knew it was white until six months later when it bloomed. It also got me excited because I didn't know there where other colors of this plant.

The last one on the right I bought at a local fleamarket around march 2010 without me knowing it was white.

I have decided to keep these 4 plants only because of what they meant to me. And plus it doesn't hurt that the big ones on this picture produce seeds for me year after year that I no longer need to buy from sellers overseas. -Joe

***oh and that's me in the pic not just some random dude.

Comments (16)

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Wow! Those are some gorgeous adeniums! Congrats.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Joe, congrats ....great looking caudexes.

Love them.

Marie

• averil
    9 years ago

Joe, they are absolutely super! Caudex are amazing! That looks like a great set up you have there
    Kind regards
    Averil

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Very nice!!!

Lonnie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

What wonderful plants, Joe. Very nice set up. Looks so inviting.
    You must have great growing conditions where you live.
    Thanks so much,
    Rick

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Wow,
    Joe, those are amazing. Can't get over the size growing them from seed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sharon

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Wow, nice plants Joe, congrats,

Where is your nursery located at?

Roberto

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful Adeniums! I hope to have caudexes half as great as those some day!

-Heather

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Goodness me those are some awesome plants! You must have excellent conditions, where are you? Could you tell us what you feed your monsters with please? Sorry for all these questions, hope you don't mind!

Gill UK

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Whoa baby...those are beautiful. I love the caudex on those plants. I cannot wait until mine get that big.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Wow wee, those are great, thanks for sharing Joe.
    Dottie

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry that I haven't been able to answer the questions gotten on here.

To answer a few that were almost the same is that I live in the lower Rio Grande Valley of south Texas. Its much a great, beautiful place to grow plants. In fact very humid ...almost 24/7 ...and all this week temperatures over 100. And I have my nursery on FM 1015 north of weslaco, texas.

As far as fertilizing the big ones on this picture ...I haven't in a few years. When I did it was a topdress called slo-cote. I don't remember the NPK at the top of my head ...but I will check tonight. And if it was that it was a water
    Soluble one.

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Nice! Maybe I can convince my sister for a day trip to your nursery. She lives in Port Aransas and I am down there 2-4 times a year any where from 1-2 weeks at a time unless she convinces me to stay a month. I love going to South Padre once in a great while with friends.

Kirk

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Joe,

Maybe im going soon too , just 2 hours away, have to go to McAllen in the begining of next month

Kirk, leave something for me, dont buy all of them

Roberto

• jasonwipf
    9 years ago

Great Specimens Joe,

I will try to visit your nursery next time I'm in the valley. My dad had a Chiropractic office that still bears his name in Weslaco.

Jason Wipf

• kiwijoe21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Small world Jason because I know of the place you're talking about.

I'm easy to find

Go north on FM 1015 until you reach mile marker 12. At the stop light, at 12, hang a left ...and 200 feet on the right immediately after you make the left I'm there. Nursery is called Linda's Nursery. And anyone is welcome to stop by. -Joe