Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Wish me luck grafted adenium

Marie Tran
9 years ago

Last Sunday I walked around my plants looking for branches to use for scions. Here they are from before and after. Wish me luck....Houston had so much rain this week, so I took them inside by the window right now. Trying to stay away from moisture air. (These from seeds grow, for rootstock) 47 scions in total. I only hope to get 1/2 of that to take, since so much rain everyday.

This post was edited by ltran54 on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 11:46

Comments (13)

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

How exciting. I do hope our grafts take for you. Did you use a named variety as your scion wood? I have quite a few seedlings and am looking forward doing more grafts.

I had good success with them taking BUT...then this spring quite a few of them rotted. I will try again but do you know how to prevent that from happening?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ladylotus, thank you. Yes, I pick the ones with heavy bloom to use for scion wood. With name/color too.

I did great job last year, but the winter took most of them away. I wish I know how to prevent them from rot....

I still have many more big seedlings, but not ready for graft this year.

Marie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Good luck with the grafts, Marie.
    Please keep us posted on their progress.

Lonnie

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am reporting the result on my grafting. I did total of 47 scions, after 2 weeks 44 took. I removed the plastics and couple more dry up. So only 42 now spout. Some are faster then other.

Joe, am I good enough to help you with your grafting? Free of labor....hehehe.

{{gwi:349864}}{{gwi:349866}}

{{gwi:349868}}

{{gwi:349870}}

{{gwi:349872}}

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Congrats!
    Where do you get the small plastic bags.

Lonnie

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lonnie, I got them from VN. A friend brought them all the way from Viet Nam just for me to use on grafting.

I sent you PM

Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Lonnie,
    I got mine at Michael's (the craft store). They are sold for storing beads in and they come in many different sizes. I cut the ziplock part off and use.
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Excellent! Glad to see that you had such success.

Mark

• ixorapink
    9 years ago

You sure are a pro when come to grafting , I need to take a lesson from you hehe.......
    Jan

• laurieinphx
    9 years ago

Glad most of them took! Your plants always look great. :)

Laurie

• chris705743
    9 years ago

Itran54, can you please teach me how to do grafting? You ve really did a very good job. I would like to do some grafting with my seeding but I am not very sure how to do it. Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.
    Chris

• jayeff71
    9 years ago

Excellent grafting Marie you definitely have the touch , I must be doing something wrong as my success rate is very low.
    So now you have to let us into your little secret with a step to step guide on DR grafting !!!
    Regards John. Thailand.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you friends....

Chris, what is your zone? This is December, it is too cold for grafts. I normally do my graft right after first blooming season. Around July, so the scions have enough time to grow before winter comes. Hot sunny weather helps.

Type in search area (Result of last year grafts) to see my 2012 grafts. Grafting is not hard, it takes practices.

John, if you stay in Thailand, you have great weather and you can do your grafting anytime. The most important point is to soak your knifes in rubbing alcohol for 2-3 minutes before you start and often clean your knifes during the process and dry it with clean paper towel. (I used one side razer blade, easy to hold)

Ask more question, I will try to help. Many people had different steps, but my steps I wrote in (Result of last year grafts).
    Marie