Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

$4.99 Adeniums at Trader Joe's

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

I thought maybe some people on this forum would find this interesting, and/or have comments.

Today at Trader Joe's in Palo Alto I found Adeniums for $4.99. Not all have obvious buds, but I left with a couple that did. Out of curiosity I stopped at the Menlo Park TJ's and found more of the same. I live a few miles farther up the peninsula, but I didn't check locally.

Here are the plants at the Menlo Park store:

{{gwi:350004}}

And here are the plants I picked up:

{{gwi:350005}}

Showing the caudexes:

{{gwi:350006}}

I don't have enough room, and probably not enough sun to keep these, so these will likely go to friends or family.

Comments (29)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

I'm visiting a few trader joes tomorrow!! ;). Thanks for the info.

Chuy

• averil
    10 years ago

Lovely plants. I wish we had a trader Joes!!

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark!! Here's what I saw at our local trader joe's

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, I'm surprised they have the same plants in Southern CA as Northern CA. Maybe that's not true of all things. I used to live a couple blocks from the original store (Pasadena). I remember the orchid selection down there was superior to what's found up here.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Houston has a Trader Joe's that opened less than a year ago, I think. Now I have an excuse to try to go scope out this store and see the hype. To me it sounded like a glorified Whole Foods or Central Market. Central Market is still my favorite by far.

Kirk

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Good luck Kirk!! ;). Hope you find some.

Chuy

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Jealous of your 'Road Trip'! No Trader Joes here. Hope you find something good. Paula

10 years ago

Sorry repost

This post was edited by ilovetogrow on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 21:07

• kdill01_z8
    10 years ago

I saw these st T J's in Plano, Tx this past Saturday but passed because they were $6.99 with no buds.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Hhhhmmmm. Interesting kdill01. I think I would have passed as well! ;)

Chuy

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I have to say thank you to the OP! I don't have a TJ's near me but I contacted a friend that lives in California to give him the heads up that TJ's were supposedly doing it in his general area if he was still interested in one. He dropped by, bought two, and is sending one to me! I'm beyond excited. He did warn me that the plants had already been picked through and none of them really seemed in excellent shape but eh, I don't mind. Plants grow and change. That's the beauty.

10 years ago

kdill01 and chuy415 why would you pass on a non budded plant? Paula

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

For $4.99 , I would have bought a half dozen. Nothing ever that cheap here in Ohio. My Lowes sells them for $15.97 with no buds. Got two, now I wait to see what they will be.

Sharon

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Paula- I was only thinking because of the price difference (my opinion). Nothin to do with the buds. But I did buy one for 4.99 though ;). Sorry for any confusion.

Chuy

10 years ago

ahh as I had just bought some non budded plants from WM. Feel safer now. LOL I would have showed this post and tried to talk store down on price. Thank you for answering.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

:0).

Chuy

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I just received the plant from my friend from California. Would it be okay for me to go ahead and repot this in a gritty mix or would being shipped in complete darkness for two days be too much of a shock for it right now?

Are these adenium obesums, btw? I noticed it said Adeniums but it didn't specify if it was obesum. It seems a tad different from my A.O.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Dragonstone, yes you can pot them ASAP, they will be okay without any shock.

Please show us pictures.
    Marie

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the two that I bought is starting to bloom:

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow. Beautiful Mark! Here's my bloom on the one I bought.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting...so they are not just selling one clone. I wonder if they are all mixed up together?

I'm actually really surprised that they are selling so many plants without good sized buds. Usually everything TJ's sells is in bloom.

I was back in Palo Alto, and they appear to have replenished their stock, including at least a couple with buds.

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Mine is just a sad, sad little thing. Got a bit bent up from the shipping but I think she'll live.

{{gwi:350007}}

I don't think these are grafted. When I looked at the caudex of mine, it all looks like natural growth.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

So jeaous, mine is small but costed 20 plus dollars online

• Neysa
    10 years ago

wow!!!! wonder if I should make a trip to TJ tomorrow as it is a ways from me. But guess it would be fun to go and see. I only have one plant and since I have not killed it,I think I would love to try another one.

Neysa In San Gabriel Valley

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    10 years ago

I picked up a couple in Stockton and re-potted them. If moved indoor before the cold kicks in, should I expect them to lose their leaves? Or..would they survive in a dark garage all winter?

{{!gwi}}

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

They may loose their leaves unless they are receiving a lot of sunlight and the change to inside might result in some leaf loss.
    Marie, I believe keeps hers in the garage, but she would have to give you info..
    Definitely will loose leaves in dark garage and will go dormant, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Your pots look amply large enough, so I would be careful not to over water them as they will stay moist for a bit longer.
    Hope someone else chimes in.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Dan, the price is very good. They looks healthy and ready to grow in your care.
    Those pots are big for them and the soil holds up the water longer. If you keep them in those pots, you will have plenty of leaves.

I keep most of my DR in pots only 1 to 2 inches bigger around the caudex.
    All my DR are in my garage all winter,
    Marie

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for the watering tip, I am more careful now. At first they started to lose many leaves, but they are doing good now in full sun.

• cara
    10 years ago

Wow, for $4.99 on that size i would fill my car with it. I will check Trader Joe's here if they carry it today.

Thank you for passing on your experience.